Hi all, I have been researching my husbands (in the words of my FTM programme) 3rd Great Grand Uncle John Pennock from Rivenhall, Essex today, he according to the 1841 census was a Navy pensioner. According to the 1851 census he was a railway station porter in Chelmsford but also a Greenwich pensioner. I have been looking
here and found two baptisms of his children and his marriage. The baptisms give his occupation as a Serjeant RM, I have found this on FMP.
On April 13 1831 he signed up to the Royal Navy at Chatham in Kent, he was 20 years old.
His rank was Pte. 3rd Cl. RM (need to find out what this means) and he served on board the ship Curacoa.
The reference details are;
Chatham Division, 21st Coy.
Archive reference (ADM) 37/8959
Record set British Royal Navy personnel 1831
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Service Records
Collections from Great Britain
Does RM mean Royal Marine or something else? I have been looking on the web site that Colin mentioned but can not find anything that fits the above details. I have looked on The National Archives web site but can not find any thing relevant to him.
Am I missing somewhere to search for more information on him? I am at a loss to know where to look next.
Thank you in advance.
Carol