MaryY
LostCousins Member
The man I seek was definitely born June 1936 in Scullomie, Tongue. His birth is in the OPR and he's with his family, I think 1841, 1851 and 1861 tho' I don't have my family file to hand. In 1863 he applied to the Kirk Session for a character reference for emigration to New Zealand, and thereafter he vanished from Scottish census. Then sometime in late 20century people from New Zealand made contact with family still in Tongue, supposedly Robert Sutherland's descendants. But sadly contact was lost again.Mary it is easy to imagine someone having written down some details reading Sutherland as the place when actually it was just the surname. So often when people write things down its unstructured and missing lots of dates and places. Perhaps something was misread at some point as being the county of Sutherland when actually they were never there? Yet you seem so sure he was born in Tongue? Why is that?