GrahamC
LostCousins Member
I have a query from the 1861 census of Longton, Staffordshire. The attached image shows the household in question. The head of household is shown as John Ryley aged 30, his wife Bridget aged 32, their 7 kids and and a 17 yo boarder also called John Ryley.
I know from extensive research over many years that the name of the head of household is actually Martin Ryley/Riley and that Bridget was also known as Elizabeth. I strongly suspect that the error was made by the enumerator.
My conundrum relates to the 17 yo boarder who's surname is also Ryley. I have tried to find him in previous and subsequent censuses and in BDM records without success. There are numerous people of the correct name but narrowing it down to the correct person is difficult if not impossible.
Can anyone help?
I know from extensive research over many years that the name of the head of household is actually Martin Ryley/Riley and that Bridget was also known as Elizabeth. I strongly suspect that the error was made by the enumerator.
My conundrum relates to the 17 yo boarder who's surname is also Ryley. I have tried to find him in previous and subsequent censuses and in BDM records without success. There are numerous people of the correct name but narrowing it down to the correct person is difficult if not impossible.
Can anyone help?