Britjan
LostCousins Star
Based on the interest generated by the wedding ring I wonder if anybody feels like taking up this challenge?
Here is a news item from today's paper that reads in part ...
" Military medal found in Hamilton prompts search for soldier
Medal from First World War soldier named John Ford of Hamilton was found 50 years ago.
Hamilton Spectator
A Manitoulin Island couple is hoping to locate descendants of a First World War soldier to pass on a service medal found on the Mountain half a century ago.
The medal with the name J. Ford and service number 28535 was picked up by the side of Nebo Road 50 years ago by then Mount Hope resident Paul Whelan.
"I was riding my bike, coming back from a buddy's place and I just happened to notice something shiny in the gravel along the side of the road. I thought it was a quarter or silver dollar and it happened to be this medal." he says.
"I just took it home and put it in a little box I had."
As the years went by, he forgot about it.
But several weeks ago the medal resurfaced — right around the time he saw a newspaper article about Dave Thomson of St. George, who has "repatriated" hundreds of military medals to families and museums." Here's the complete link .
As I am working I can't take it on today apart from going to the IWM site and remembering John . It's a chance to explore Canadian records for those of you have world wide subscriptions and some of the free ones mentioned in the resources.
Here is a news item from today's paper that reads in part ...
" Military medal found in Hamilton prompts search for soldier
Medal from First World War soldier named John Ford of Hamilton was found 50 years ago.
Hamilton Spectator
A Manitoulin Island couple is hoping to locate descendants of a First World War soldier to pass on a service medal found on the Mountain half a century ago.
The medal with the name J. Ford and service number 28535 was picked up by the side of Nebo Road 50 years ago by then Mount Hope resident Paul Whelan.
"I was riding my bike, coming back from a buddy's place and I just happened to notice something shiny in the gravel along the side of the road. I thought it was a quarter or silver dollar and it happened to be this medal." he says.
"I just took it home and put it in a little box I had."
As the years went by, he forgot about it.
But several weeks ago the medal resurfaced — right around the time he saw a newspaper article about Dave Thomson of St. George, who has "repatriated" hundreds of military medals to families and museums." Here's the complete link .
As I am working I can't take it on today apart from going to the IWM site and remembering John . It's a chance to explore Canadian records for those of you have world wide subscriptions and some of the free ones mentioned in the resources.