PaulC
LostCousins Member
Hi folks, my name is Paul and I've been working on my family history for just over four years now, though compared to some people I guess that still makes me a relative newbie! Like many people I suppose, I grew up with vague family stories, and TV programmes like Who Do You Think You Are certainly piqued my interest, but it wasn't until my nan died in 2011 that I decided to take the plunge.
My nan had kept many old photographs and newspaper cuttings, and I'm lucky that my mum got her to write down a rough family tree a few years earlier, so putting all those pieces together was really the starting point for me. And I'm also fortunate that the various branches of my mum's family were all from the same part of Lancashire where I still live.
Researching my dad's side of the family has been more of a challenge, though in some respects more rewarding. My dad only ever knew one of his grandparents and only part of his extended family, so I've been able to discover aunts and uncles that he never knew about!
Of course, not all of those family stories have turned out to be correct, but so far it's been an interesting journey and I look forward to seeing where it takes me in the future!
My nan had kept many old photographs and newspaper cuttings, and I'm lucky that my mum got her to write down a rough family tree a few years earlier, so putting all those pieces together was really the starting point for me. And I'm also fortunate that the various branches of my mum's family were all from the same part of Lancashire where I still live.
Researching my dad's side of the family has been more of a challenge, though in some respects more rewarding. My dad only ever knew one of his grandparents and only part of his extended family, so I've been able to discover aunts and uncles that he never knew about!
Of course, not all of those family stories have turned out to be correct, but so far it's been an interesting journey and I look forward to seeing where it takes me in the future!