A
At home in NZ
Guest
After many years of believing there was no hope of finding the father of an illegitimate child born in 1906 I have found a Banns entry for the mother of the child but no subsequent marriage.
The child is detailed as illegitimate in the Workhouse birth record and I have her birth cert which does not have a father’s name
It is highly unlikely that there was any real relationship between the father and mother because the mother was admitted to the Workhouse 4 months prior to giving birth. As far as I can ascertain from a criminal report the man may have been taken into custody around that time.
In my Ancestry tree I have tied both parents to the child as biological but when it comes to the relationship between the parents I am not sure which to choose.
The choices are:
Spouse
Partner
Friend
Single
Other
Unknown
I have tentatively used ‘Unknown’ and wonder what others would do under the circumstances?
The child is detailed as illegitimate in the Workhouse birth record and I have her birth cert which does not have a father’s name
It is highly unlikely that there was any real relationship between the father and mother because the mother was admitted to the Workhouse 4 months prior to giving birth. As far as I can ascertain from a criminal report the man may have been taken into custody around that time.
In my Ancestry tree I have tied both parents to the child as biological but when it comes to the relationship between the parents I am not sure which to choose.
The choices are:
Spouse
Partner
Friend
Single
Other
Unknown
I have tentatively used ‘Unknown’ and wonder what others would do under the circumstances?