AndyMick
LostCousins Star
Following the suggestion in Peter's recent newsletter, I have been inputting households for the 400+ soldiers on Crich (Derbyshire) War Memorial. I'm doing this to help my friend who is researching them, and seeking more information on some of them. Over the last month I have input over 1500 names, mainly on the 1911 census for England, and had 3 matches (which is where my friend takes over).
I now have a number of "records that need checking". As far as I can tell, this implies that someone else has previously input the details for the person on the census, but the details are not 100% matched. If we could only agree on how the entry should be transcribed we'd have a match. I carefully checked the census image, and clicked "confirm" - and the potential match disappeared. Confirming doesn't seem the best strategy
So I have a number of questions:
TIA Andy.
I now have a number of "records that need checking". As far as I can tell, this implies that someone else has previously input the details for the person on the census, but the details are not 100% matched. If we could only agree on how the entry should be transcribed we'd have a match. I carefully checked the census image, and clicked "confirm" - and the potential match disappeared. Confirming doesn't seem the best strategy
So I have a number of questions:
- How have others made best use of this near-miss? If the other person believes his entry is the correct one, we will never match - unless I can work out what detail they entered that is different.
- When, if ever, does the other person get notified that their records now need checking?
- In a list of 1500+ names, is there as easy way to find those that need checking? Find in text in the browser doesn't work as the exclamation mark is an image. Selecting all details and copy/paste to Excel shows the exclamation mark only as an image again, which can't be searched for.
TIA Andy.