jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
So I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out before I go purchasing documents from the GRO.
I am looking for either the baptism record or marriage records of William Tomlinson to attempt to continue a journey to moving a couple of bricks in a massive brick wall in my family - basically, I want to know who his parents were.
William Tomlinson was born on 18 Jul 1888, according to his US cemetery records, in Highfield, Lancashire. (His UK British Army records also give a birthdate of 1888 and a birthplace of Lancashire)
According to his British Army records, he married Florence Eliza Tickle on 12 Sep 1912 in Pemberton, Lancashire. There is a matching GRO record for 1912 Jul Quarter (8c 50) in Wigan, but I haven't found any other records in England at this point that I can confirm are William.
He, his wife and daughters moved to Rhode Island in the US, and I am able to trace them all easily.
So I have been looking for a marriage document, or a baptism document so that I can follow William back another generation.
Wigan records are held on Ancestry, so I checked them, no Tomlinsons marrying a Tickle. I even went into the record set and looked at the records for Pemberton and scrolled to the page that held the marriages for Sep 1912, but there were no marriages recorded on the 12th (but quite a few on the 14th).
I also checked the Lancashire parish registers on FMP, but no sign of any records from Pemberton, or any other records of Tomlinson and Tickle weddings.
Stimied, I went looking for a possible baptismal record for William - but I can't find a corresponding record for a William Tomlinson for 1888.
I presume that the lack of a marriage register entry either means the details are incorrect or that they married in a Register office instead of the Parish church. I'm not sure what to make of the missing baptismal record for William, other that perhaps I haven't figured out the right wildcard to find any mispelt names.
Any ideas? I think that I will probably be left to order the marriage record from the GRO and do it that way, but
I am looking for either the baptism record or marriage records of William Tomlinson to attempt to continue a journey to moving a couple of bricks in a massive brick wall in my family - basically, I want to know who his parents were.
William Tomlinson was born on 18 Jul 1888, according to his US cemetery records, in Highfield, Lancashire. (His UK British Army records also give a birthdate of 1888 and a birthplace of Lancashire)
According to his British Army records, he married Florence Eliza Tickle on 12 Sep 1912 in Pemberton, Lancashire. There is a matching GRO record for 1912 Jul Quarter (8c 50) in Wigan, but I haven't found any other records in England at this point that I can confirm are William.
He, his wife and daughters moved to Rhode Island in the US, and I am able to trace them all easily.
So I have been looking for a marriage document, or a baptism document so that I can follow William back another generation.
Wigan records are held on Ancestry, so I checked them, no Tomlinsons marrying a Tickle. I even went into the record set and looked at the records for Pemberton and scrolled to the page that held the marriages for Sep 1912, but there were no marriages recorded on the 12th (but quite a few on the 14th).
I also checked the Lancashire parish registers on FMP, but no sign of any records from Pemberton, or any other records of Tomlinson and Tickle weddings.
Stimied, I went looking for a possible baptismal record for William - but I can't find a corresponding record for a William Tomlinson for 1888.
I presume that the lack of a marriage register entry either means the details are incorrect or that they married in a Register office instead of the Parish church. I'm not sure what to make of the missing baptismal record for William, other that perhaps I haven't figured out the right wildcard to find any mispelt names.
Any ideas? I think that I will probably be left to order the marriage record from the GRO and do it that way, but