• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Recent Viewers

Dahlia

Member
I was a bit taken aback yesterday to receive a message from someone who said that Ancestry had notified him that I'd been looking at his tree. I had no idea such a feature existed on Ancestry.

There's a toggle "Recent Viewers" in Account settings under Trees which allows you to see who's viewed your tree whilst allowing your tree to be viewed. To find out who's been recently looking at your tree can be found under Activity and Viewers.

Information - here

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Tree-Collaboration-Tools#viewers
 
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that setting, but I did notice when I was viewing the 1951 article (about the abducted boy) at Newspaper.com it gave the user names of people who had viewed that article in May this year, and it's possible that one of them was the niece or another family member since it predated the discovery of the uncle. Newspapers.com is part of the Ancestry family so the same protocol may apply to all of the sites.

The tree attached to my DNA results doesn't seem to be very popular, though it's my only public tree:

upload_2024-9-27_12-49-25.png
 
Mine says that 8 people have viewed my tree in the last 7 days - but it does also say that you might have "ghost" viewers, i.e. those who have switched off that feature and they could look all they liked without their names appearing on that list.
 
Mine says that 8 people have viewed my tree in the last 7 days - but it does also say that you might have "ghost" viewers, i.e. those who have switched off that feature and they could look all they liked without their names appearing on that list.
Viewers' settings don't affect the count, they only determine whether the user name is shown.
 
There you go - indeed, when I could it shows six members usernames, so I must have two "ghost" viewers.
Thanks - the missing piece of the jigsaw. I was concerned that some people might think that the number displayed excludes viewers who have this feature disabled.
 
Is this feature available to everyone or might it be for Pro Tools only? Anyone reading this who doesn't have Pro Tools at the moment?
 
I don't have Pro Tools but the Recent Viewers setting is on. Other features restricted to a Pro Tools subscription have a padlock symbol next to them. Recent Viewers does not.
 
Back
Top