• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Question about the 1911 Census

PaulC

LostCousins Member
Perhaps a daft question, but what are these parts of the 1911 Census forms:

rg14_22840_0268_03.jpg

They are easlily overlooked but I'm finding them rather useful (though occasionally confusing!), as the enumerator sometimes gives a more specific address than the one given by the household. In the example I've posted above, the address is actually completely different: Fielden Crossley gave his address as "Kew Gardens, Southport". I'm just wondering which I should give more credance to?
 
The part of Southport bordering Scarisbrick is called Kew.
This item in Wikipedia may help.
Southport Road is probably the official address, but Kew Gardens sounds much better!
 
Thanks Katie, I do know where Kew is though - it's just a few miles from where I live! :)

Actually, in this particular case I'm researching the family's son, Henry Fielden Crossley, for a local WW1 project at Scarisbrick, hence my confusion over the conflicting addresses.

'Twas more of a general wondering though...

...Kew Gardens sounds much better!

By all accounts, Kew Gardens was quite the attraction back in 1911. Sadly it's all long gone now...
A lookback at Southport's Kew Gardens
How Kew Gardens became one of Southport's top pleasure spots
 
By all accounts, Kew Gardens was quite the attraction back in 1911. Sadly it's all long gone now...
A lookback at Southport's Kew Gardens
How Kew Gardens became one of Southport's top pleasure spots

Thanks for that Paul, very interesting, as my sister lives near Southport and I have been round Kew roundabout a few times!
I also see where they got the info for the Wikipedia article.

To quote from one of the articles
"The small portion of the once huge lake (still there in the 1960s) is accessible from the district hospital grounds, from the main entrance heading towards the hospice."
I have sat and looked over the lake and seen cormorants on the other side. I had no idea of its history.

All the best with your WW1 project.
K
 
I'm researching the family's son, Henry Fielden Crossley, for a local WW1 project at Scarisbrick, hence my confusion over the conflicting addresses.
Can you give me a couple more details on the project Paul? I hope your group is considering adding the names to the Lives of the First World War website.
So far not one of the Henry Fielding listings have been remembered.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I agree with you there. To me, the "remember" feature should be used for those people who mean something to us. If you want to remember a group of people en masse, because they come from a particular area or whatever, then that's what communities are for. Two different things to be used in different ways.

Each to their own though! :)
 
I think we should use the Remember feature, whether or not the person means something to us, if we have gone to the trouble of adding Facts and Evidence. I was idly looking through a couple of Communities, which meant nothing to me but which sounded interesting, and was quite upset to notice that some of the WWI heroes had had information added but had not earned a Remember.
 
I have the utmost respect for the range of views which are expressed in forum opportunities. LOTFWW Facebook group recently had a similar range of views ....
" I started by only remembering folks in my area of research interest. After a while though my late mum's philosophy came back to me. We used to spend hours cycling to village churchyards and going around reading all the memorials. All for family history. When I asked why we took time on markers from outside the family she said that reading the inscriptions meant the dead were not forgotten just for a moment. So I do remember each bod whose name I read in Lives. Don't think there's a wrong or right here though. "
and this ......
"It's a tricky one, personally I'm a volunteer so am adding facts to thousands of men who are not directly related to my own research (which also runs into the thousands and who I do "remember") I took the decision not to "remember" a lifestory just because I either added it manually (by request or from external research) or corrected a mistake in the transcription. If I did the counter would be a lot higher but not really reflective of my own area of interest."
 
Is there a danger that the word 'remember' could become as meaningless as the words 'friend' and 'like'?
 
Is there a danger that the word 'remember' could become as meaningless as the words 'friend' and 'like'?
Absolutely Peter and I speculated to the volunteer LOTFWW Facebook group that perhaps two versions of "remember" might have been a good idea from the start. Another Facebook group seems to use the word "respect" for a less personal remembrance, it's not a word I particularly like but perhaps it has some merit in this situation. "Remember" could then be reserved for those Lives which have some substance in terms of contributor input.

There's certainly no personal guarantee that by the time WWII remembrance surfaces in 2039 -2045 that I'll be around to be as opinionated as I am now so I really hope some lessons are learned from the IWM WWI initiative.
 
Back
Top