• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Publishing ( or self-publishing )a private Family History Book

brickwall

Member
Does anyone have experience of self-publishing, or of using a commercial publisher for, a Family History book i.e. with not just family trees, but also some text/ recollections / anecdotes, and photos relating to your family history? A book, whether hardback or softback, of smart appearance and intended as a permanent memento, but solely to be a few private copies for family members /cousins-- not for public sale?

If you have any such knowledge or experience, what programs / templates / or commercial publishers who will help you to produce such a family history book did you find useful and helpful and cost effective?

And what pitfalls does one need to be aware of /avoid along the way?

I've recently been asked by an old friend if I can help him produce a book summarising all his (and his cousin's) family researches, and I have no personal experience of such publishing, but I want to help if I can, so any hints about editing, or recommendations re particularly good family history publishing companies, or other helpful suggestions will be much appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My husband's 4th cousin has published a book, the Descendants of Thomas Nutbrown, and I have a copy. It is full of pictures and stories as well as an ahnentafel report and a coat of arms. Unfortunately, I lost his e-mail and address a few years ago, but just now see it inside the book. He lives in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I probably should not post it here however.
 
Thank you, canadianbeth, for your swift response. I fully understand the need to keep contact details private. Given the title of the book, however, I have been able to glean some useful details about it from various sources.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Something to bear in mind is that even if a book will have limited circulation, copyright still applies - both to the book itself, and to any images in the book.
 
Back
Top