The problem is how very easily some bad data just spreads.
Tim’s comments remind me of the game “Chinese Whispers”, where the much quoted mix up occurs between ‘Send reinforcements we’re going to advance’ ending up as ‘send three and fourpence, we’re going to a dance’. Ancestry can at times be much the same.
We have to remember each Tree owner has different motivations and to illustrate this I will quote three examples; myself and two second cousins. Each with his/her own Tree in Ancestry and different ways of going about populating their Trees. They share my maternal line and I will call the cousins Jane & John,
Jane is a meticulous researcher and wears out foot leather to visit churches and local archives as well as subscribing to Ancestry & FMP. She has a fantastic knowledge of internet genealogical resources and was the one who passed on a newspaper clipping about a shared relative who died in a disaster in 1856.
Unless she can support information with fact, it does not appear. She would not accept my word for anything however good the family information imparted. For instance I have intimate childhood knowledge of my grandparents who were her great-grandparents. But this is not enough; she did not know them and so seeks proof. We get on fine and it is encouraging every now and again to find she has cribbed information which I long ago passed on, but which only now is accepted. She is a supporter of Public Trees and doesn’t mind in the least who copies what from her Tree. I know this because she has often told me so.
Then there is John – her cousin –although they have only dim memories of meeting way back and live in totally different parts of the Country. His mother (also my mother’s cousin) I knew as a child (unlike Jane’s mother who I never met). Probably because of her acceptance of my bona fide, he accepts everything I pass on to him as read. He also admits to cribbing (with permission of course) from both our Trees, and from others with or without. When I pointed out that he need not copy my paternal side as it did not relate he told me well it sort of connects doesn’t it? When I mentioned this to Jane she just said ‘I give up’ and said she had lost count of the times she had warned him about adding data without first checking her Tree or mine, or asking us to comment.
My own approach more closely follows Jane’s, although I am quite prepared to take on board new data providing it gels. If it relates to our maternal connection I ask Jane to check it out (it would not work asking John unless it was strictly modern day family). Unlike Jane I do relish family information, even if as often happens it turns out to be misinformation, but it’s fun checking it out. Being that much older and researching longer I can and do often ‘sus’ out the baddies or ‘fly-by-nights’ as I call them. I weigh up facts and try to verify elsewhere often with other researchers from my contact list or via a particular Forum. Of course I have stumbled along the way but am not too proud to change things when I know I have taken a wrong turn. I also leave an Ancestry Comment to say why things have changed.
So in conclusion all I want to say is that experience counts for a lot and if I pass on advice that is not taken up, well so be it. It is their loss not mine. Just concentrate on getting your own information correct, or as near as it can be, and let the Devil take the hindmost!