Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
As a supporter of Public Ancestry Trees I find myself responding to the views expressed by Simon in his email to Peter and as published in the latest Newsletter, about changing to an Ancestry Private Tree. First let me say I do have empathy with his views on –as he puts it – “name collectors” and “lazy researchers”, but unlike him they do not diminish my support for the benefits gained over time in having a Public Tree - well 3 in fact.
I call the half hearted researchers (with apologies to Descartes) the “it exists therefore it is” set. I offset the experiences mentioned by Simon with those gained in being able to help others (which is what this Forum is all about) and being helped in return. I have made many new genealogical friends through Ancestry, and in my early days Genes.
Of course I too get a little up-tight when I come across misguided –not to say downright nonsensical – information in other Trees. Providing I can be certain my own information can be supported with fact, then I am not shy in making contact. I try NEVER to preach merely to highlight where I believe they may have taken a wrong turn, and give them the chance to ‘show otherwise’. Sometimes they come back with a counter argument -which can be quite exciting -and sometimes they ‘bite your head off’ (this has already been aired in the Forum). If this happens bite the bullet and move on - it’s their loss . (But caution may dictate you check your own facts once again).
So I cast my vote, in isolation or with others, in favour of Ancestry Public Trees. I accept however that as Peter -no lover of Ancestry Trees Public or otherwise- often advises, those troubled by the apparent inanity of ‘copy-cat’ researchers should make their Trees Private.
Finally whilst I am a staunch advocate of Lost Cousins I see this as a totally different vehicle and not really comparable with having or not having an Ancestry Tree.
I call the half hearted researchers (with apologies to Descartes) the “it exists therefore it is” set. I offset the experiences mentioned by Simon with those gained in being able to help others (which is what this Forum is all about) and being helped in return. I have made many new genealogical friends through Ancestry, and in my early days Genes.
Of course I too get a little up-tight when I come across misguided –not to say downright nonsensical – information in other Trees. Providing I can be certain my own information can be supported with fact, then I am not shy in making contact. I try NEVER to preach merely to highlight where I believe they may have taken a wrong turn, and give them the chance to ‘show otherwise’. Sometimes they come back with a counter argument -which can be quite exciting -and sometimes they ‘bite your head off’ (this has already been aired in the Forum). If this happens bite the bullet and move on - it’s their loss . (But caution may dictate you check your own facts once again).
So I cast my vote, in isolation or with others, in favour of Ancestry Public Trees. I accept however that as Peter -no lover of Ancestry Trees Public or otherwise- often advises, those troubled by the apparent inanity of ‘copy-cat’ researchers should make their Trees Private.
Finally whilst I am a staunch advocate of Lost Cousins I see this as a totally different vehicle and not really comparable with having or not having an Ancestry Tree.