• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Protestation Returns

Pauline

LostCousins Megastar
Just wanted to say thank you, Peter, for the page of links you've put together for these. I've been making use of it to look at some of the Berkshire returns, and it's very easy to use.

I haven't found anyone I can claim as mine yet. I have previously traced one branch of my family back to the 1660s in Blewbury and Upton, yet there is no sign of the surname there in 1641, which is interesting.
 
Glad you found it useful - I can't wait until they upload the returns for the counties where my ancestors lived!

BTW, I've had two emails today from a member in Australia who found a 9G grandparent and 10G grandparent in the Cornwall returns - it must be wonderful to uncover new evidence for some one so far back.
 
I have several lines in Cumberland I was hoping to trace, I have some in the 1700's and knowing the family name was there in the 1600's would concentrate my parish records search. If they were not there then I would need to widen the parish record searches.
Unfortunately I cannot get the map search to work, sometimes I start typing a name and it auto fills but the map does not update, if I type Aspatria which is where I need to search it sometimes adds Cumberland but that is as far as i get. I can find Aspatria on the map but no links show up. Am I doing something wrong?

I found out I could get to the right place through http://www.portcullis.parliament.uk which gave me three names I was looking for, all in a cousins husbands line none of my direct line, have to search neighbouring places now.
 
Last edited:
I found out I could get to the right place through http://www.portcullis.parliament.uk
You can do it that way, but I suspect most LostCousins members will find it's quicker and easier to use the map, or the page that I set up. Nobody else has reported a problem using the map (is Javascript disabled in your browser, I wonder?).

EDIT: now the map doesn't work for me either - and I've tried three different browsers - but the page of links still works. Use Ctrl-F to search for a placename.
 
Last edited:
The map doesn't work for me either, and yes I have Javascript enable.
 
The map doesn't work for me either, and yes I have Javascript enable.
Perhaps there is a problem at Google's end - since it's night-time in California they may be doing routine maintenance. Or else they've been hacked by the Russians....
 
I am glad it is not just me, I was thinking my mind was on an away day with the fairies. But I have got some more people to research which will keep me off the streets.
 
Back
Top