Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I would like to suggest a method for assessing “Probabilities” when carrying out Genealogical Research. I first came across the method in my work days as a way of assessing Health & Safety risks. It was also useful for interviews, particularly where others had to assess the same applicants, so we could compare markings.
It was introduced to me as the Winston Churchill (WC) Method as I understand he favoured it as a way of assessing wartime risks which may or may not be so. I believe it has merit and is based simply on awarding one of four marks: 2-4-6 or 8. What each mark represents is down to the user. For instance in H&S 2= low risk: 4=minimal risk: 6= moderate risk: 8=high risk.
For Genealogical Research I suggest: 2=most unlikely: 4=possible but unlikely: 6=possible and likely: 8 = possible and very likely, but you can adapt as necessary.
Sooner or later everyone comes across the build-up to what can become ‘Brick Walls’. I find a Probability Assessment using the WC Method helps me prioritise the course of future research.
There is no need to use intermediate markings, although in practice where I find something to support a previous option, or merely when comparing like-for-like marks, I add a ‘+’ where I think something deserves emphasis.
Please let me know if you think the WC Method has merit.
It was introduced to me as the Winston Churchill (WC) Method as I understand he favoured it as a way of assessing wartime risks which may or may not be so. I believe it has merit and is based simply on awarding one of four marks: 2-4-6 or 8. What each mark represents is down to the user. For instance in H&S 2= low risk: 4=minimal risk: 6= moderate risk: 8=high risk.
For Genealogical Research I suggest: 2=most unlikely: 4=possible but unlikely: 6=possible and likely: 8 = possible and very likely, but you can adapt as necessary.
Sooner or later everyone comes across the build-up to what can become ‘Brick Walls’. I find a Probability Assessment using the WC Method helps me prioritise the course of future research.
There is no need to use intermediate markings, although in practice where I find something to support a previous option, or merely when comparing like-for-like marks, I add a ‘+’ where I think something deserves emphasis.
Please let me know if you think the WC Method has merit.