Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Yes, I’d wondered if that might be what it was, but then I couldn’t rule out the ‘cracking up’ possibility!Perhaps that was added by a moderator to avoid the need to split off posts into a new discussion.
Yes, I’d wondered if that might be what it was, but then I couldn’t rule out the ‘cracking up’ possibility!Perhaps that was added by a moderator to avoid the need to split off posts into a new discussion.
You're not cracking up, well, anymore than normal.Yes, I’d wondered if that might be what it was, but then I couldn’t rule out the ‘cracking up’ possibility!
A bit late in responding but lost my internet connection for 3 days.I personally very much dislike the practice, and would define myself as living either in England or in the UK, but never in England, United Kingdom.
What do others think?
Findmypast are based in the UK which gives them a different perspective. But they also suffer from occasional gazetteer issues, as we saw when the 1921 Census was first released.if Find My Past can get it right why not everyone else
At the foot of the Ancestry United Kingdom version Home page is:Findmypast are based in the UK which gives them a different perspective. But they also suffer from occasional gazetteer issues, as we saw when the 1921 Census was first released.
I believe you can change this on the Home page - find 'Search' and click on 'Show more options'... you will find 'Collection focus' with the 'All Collections' default showing. Click on the down arrow and select you own default Country option, usually England or UK and Ireland (or whatever) Also allows Race/Nationality'. Haven't tested it to see if after a reboot it reverts to 'All Collections' . It might well do but either way once you have your own default showing, you still need to action the 'Apply' button before carrying out a Search.I have noticed the further leaning towards the US, such as when I do a search on a person the search criteria is set at All Collections with the US results to the fore. It annoys me no end because when I change it but it doesn't 'stick', the next person is All Collections, even more annoying is the Apply button which needs to be activated.
Haven't tested it to see if after a reboot it reverts to 'All Collections' . It might well do but either way once you have your own default showing, you still need to action the 'Apply' button before carrying out a Search.
Been there, done that (frequently). However, at the slightest excuse Ancestry will revert to 'All Collections'; often when I adjust details to narrow down the searchI believe you can change this on the Home page - .....
Yes even though I knew it to be a solution, I forgot Ancestry's determination to foist its own priorities (it suits a largely American subscription base) and an 'All Collections' default is the result. I also empathise with the comment about when we make our own adjustments to the search field, that is 'pay back' time. So in the end we need to remember to change the All Collections to the country we seek, and remember to 'Apply'...when was it ever different?Been there, done that (frequently). However, at the slightest excuse Ancestry will revert to 'All Collections'; often when I adjust details to narrow down the search![]()
Blow me down! I set my default to England in the search as recommended a few hours ago, I have just logged back into my PC and found it has remained at England. I do wonder how long it will last. I never log out of Ancestry, if I do, or get booted out, maybe it will revert to All Collections.I believe you can change this on the Home page - find 'Search' and click on 'Show more options'... you will find 'Collection focus' with the 'All Collections' default showing. Click on the down arrow and select you own default Country option, usually England or UK and Ireland (or whatever) Also allows Race/Nationality'. Haven't tested it to see if after a reboot it reverts to 'All Collections' . It might well do but either way once you have your own default showing, you still need to action the 'Apply' button before carrying out a Search.
Perhaps others will comment further on the vexing problem of Ancestry's insistence on an 'All Collections' default.
They closed down their London office some years ago - all the dealings I have with Ancestry are with people in the US.At the foot of the Ancestry United Kingdom version Home page is:
- Operated by Ancestry Ireland Unlimited Company
Scratching my head here, was London ever in Ireland?They closed down their London office some years ago - all the dealings I have with Ancestry are with people in the US.
A little bit of history never did anyone any harm. Anyone who read your post might have thought that Ancestry never had an office in the UK.Scratching my head here, was London ever in Ireland?![]()
Ireland is a country in its own right within Europe, as is France and Italy (e.g.) and neither require to add further qualification of status, such as 'Republic 0f'. Ancestry clearly believes that the United Kingdom with its 4 individual nations is best defined by citing each Nation within its qualifying UK umbrella, even if we think it unnecessary.And, why didn't Mayo, Ireland change to Mayo, Republic of Ireland??
Bob's right - the official name is 'Eire' or, in English, 'Ireland'. The term 'Republic of Ireland' is, however, useful as a way of differentiating the country from the island, especially in sport.Ireland is a country in its own right within Europe, as is France and Italy (e.g.) and neither require to add further qualification of status, such as 'Republic 0f'. Ancestry clearly believes that the United Kingdom with its 4 individual nations is best defined by citing each Nation within its qualifying UK umbrella, even if we think it unnecessary.
We shouldn't forget it was once the Irish Free State. from 6 Dec 1922 to 29 Dec 1937. You will see that term in the US censuses taken during that period.Bob's right - the official name is 'Eire' or, in English, 'Ireland'. The term 'Republic of Ireland' is, however, useful as a way of differentiating the country from the island, especially in sport.
During that period it was still part of the British Empire, and had a similar status to Canada. Ireland remained in the British Commonwealth until 1949 - see this newsletter article from 2017.We shouldn't forget it was once the Irish Free State. from 6 Dec 1922 to 29 Dec 1937. You will see that term in the US censuses taken during that period.