Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I was looking at some trees on FamilySearch and was a bit surprised to see that English place names there include 'United Kingdom' - for example, Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom.
Since people from across the world use these trees, clearly the country needs to be defined, but why the addition of 'United Kingdom'? The FamilySearch dropdown of places differentiates between place names before and after 1801, but many users seem to choose the version including 'United Kingdom' regardless of the date and blithely apply it to events in the 18th century and earlier.
Also, although it may be technically correct that places in England have been in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland* since 1801 (*Northern Ireland since 1922), I would question how necessary or appropriate it is to include 'United Kingdom' in defining them.
I personally very much dislike the practice, and would define myself as living either in England or in the UK, but never in England, United Kingdom.
What do others think?
Since people from across the world use these trees, clearly the country needs to be defined, but why the addition of 'United Kingdom'? The FamilySearch dropdown of places differentiates between place names before and after 1801, but many users seem to choose the version including 'United Kingdom' regardless of the date and blithely apply it to events in the 18th century and earlier.
Also, although it may be technically correct that places in England have been in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland* since 1801 (*Northern Ireland since 1922), I would question how necessary or appropriate it is to include 'United Kingdom' in defining them.
I personally very much dislike the practice, and would define myself as living either in England or in the UK, but never in England, United Kingdom.
What do others think?