• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

People with Two Surnames

LauraN

LostCousins Member
Researching Dorset ancestors and have come across something that appears to be peculiar to Osmington in the 1700s. I now have three people who are all listed as having two surnames, xxx otherwise xxx (see attachment) and was wondering if anyone knows why this should be. Most of my ancestors are Dorset based but I have not come across this before. I can only think that either they were all trying to avoid the authorities by causing confusion ((:-))) or they were quoting the mother's maiden name. Can anyone confirm or give me another plausible explanation as to why this appears to be common practice in Osmington.two.jpg
 
While this may appear to be peculiar to Osmington, it was actually quite common for people to have alias surnames at this date, particularly in the West Country. I have lots of example in Gloucestershire and Wiltshire, for example.

There are a number of reasons why people may have had one or more alias names, and generally not the illegitimacy often assumed.
 
Hi Pauline
Thanks for the reply. I have relatives in several counties and not come across this before, sadly none in Gloucestershire. One thing I wonder about is how you decide which surname to use as the primary one in order to avoid confusion. I have tended to use the first surname I come across in a baptism as the family name for a particular family, but I'd be interested to know what system you use.
 
Difficult question, and I don’t really have a system as such. I have tended to go with the surname that the family later settled on, but that doesn’t really work as well with a female line. And sometimes the order varies from one event to the next, so half the children are baptised Smith alias Jones and the other half Jones alias Smith, then it’s all change when they get married! I guess I just go with what feels right for each different family, which is very vague, I’m afraid.

And although I can’t remember the details off the top of my head, I have come across at least one family which used three surnames, and sometimes all three were recorded, sometimes two and sometimes just one. Very confusing, but luckily this wasn’t my particular line.
 
I agree that it can be difficult, as can other things with family history. It seems that nothing is 100% straightforward. Thanks again for your reply. I shall have to make my way through these problems as best I can. Have a good Christmas.
 
Back
Top