DavidP
LostCousins Member
My knowledge of Latin is virtually non-existent, so I wonder if someone could help with the following which are taken from the burials in the Parish Registers of Thirsk, Yorkshire (they are just examples and I assume they are common to most PRs):
"January xv - John Robinson filius xpoferi, ex morbo predicto" I assume John Robinson son of ? was buried on Jan 15, but what the heck does the rest mean?
Another example: " March xxij = Ricarde Cussons was bur. ex eod morbo" Ricarde Cussons was buried on 22nd March and ....?
Perhaps there could be a new section in the forum that contained a list/glossary of some of the more common terminology used in Parish Registers, for example, I thought "Uxor" as in "Uxor Willm Smyth was buried" was a first name, but it transpires it means 'the spouse of'.
And one final question... What does "xpoferi" or "expofer"? Is it shorthand for Christopher?
Thanks in anticipation.
"January xv - John Robinson filius xpoferi, ex morbo predicto" I assume John Robinson son of ? was buried on Jan 15, but what the heck does the rest mean?
Another example: " March xxij = Ricarde Cussons was bur. ex eod morbo" Ricarde Cussons was buried on 22nd March and ....?
Perhaps there could be a new section in the forum that contained a list/glossary of some of the more common terminology used in Parish Registers, for example, I thought "Uxor" as in "Uxor Willm Smyth was buried" was a first name, but it transpires it means 'the spouse of'.
And one final question... What does "xpoferi" or "expofer"? Is it shorthand for Christopher?
Thanks in anticipation.