• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Our developing language

Ah what memories of incomprehensible versions of English!
Many years ago, newly qualified as a librarian, I came up to Aberdeen and got a job in the Central Library. Perhaps only Alexander can fully understand the total bafflement with which I regarded the incomphensible comments addressed to me by members of the Aberdonain public. But, as with Bob, understanding came gradually.
Regarding the Geordie accent, I think my favorite joke regards the injured miner who consulted a doctor. (if you don't know the acent you need to understand that the word 'work' is pronounced to rhyme with 'fork', and 'walk' roughly rhymes with 'park'

Doctor: Can you walk?
Affronted miner: Worrk! I can hardly waalk!
 
I used to visit the central library 3-4 times a week when I was younger being an avid reader at the time. This would have been in the 70s.
 
I used to visit the central library 3-4 times a week when I was younger being an avid reader at the time. This would have been in the 70s.

Mmm. We might have overlapped by a couple of years, Alexander, not that I put in many hours in the Children's Department.
 
Back
Top