All my Family History information is filed in a way I understand so I can find what I'm looking for fairly quickly. They are primarily used on my hard drive but also backed up onto a 1 terabyte external drive.
I use Family Tree Maker (14.1) for my family tree. When I add media that I didn't find on Ancestry (let's say a newspaper clipping), FTM saves that in a file called Lynne's Ancestry Media. That makes sense, I guess. Now I have two copies of my media saved on the same hard drive.
So, I have two questions:
I use Family Tree Maker (14.1) for my family tree. When I add media that I didn't find on Ancestry (let's say a newspaper clipping), FTM saves that in a file called Lynne's Ancestry Media. That makes sense, I guess. Now I have two copies of my media saved on the same hard drive.
So, I have two questions:
- Do I need to keep both copies of the media on my hard drive? The organiser in me says "yes" (in one place it's neatly filed); the frugal space-saver, says "no, why use double the space?" What do you think? More to the point, what do experienced family historians do?
- Can I reorganise FTM's media files into different folders (eg census, photos, electoral rolls, BDM indexes, etc)or will Family Tree Maker have a fit?