• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ontario marriage registrations

canadianbeth

LostCousins Star
I have found my grandparents' marriage registration from 1913 and both of my Dad's sisters', both from 1934, but I cannot find my own parents' from 1940, nor any of my mother's siblings marriages. They were all married in Ontario, (except one uncle who married during WW2 in England and I found his in the index). I have searched using both the bride and groom's names and also the Ontario links and cannot find any of them. Can anyone explain why this would be? I think my parents' was a civil marriage (and my grandparents') but am not sure, but the others were married in church.
 
Hi - that is probably because Ontario Vital Statistics marriage records are only available to 1938.
After that one has to contact Service Ontario and there are probably rules around proving your relationship and whether or not
the parties to the marriage are still alive. If you know the town or parish in which the church weddings were performed you might
get some success by contacting the relevant churches.
Joe Forsyth
 
Thank you, Joseph, that would explain it, although I was unable to determine that just by searching the different Ontario links. Of course, none of the relevant parties are still living, except for one uncle and he is 96. I did not have to search for my paternal aunts' marriages, they show up when following the green leaf and I can see the actual certificates with witnesses and all. My grandparents' appears to be the marriage licence and not the actual certificate. It was after I read the licence, through microfiche at the library many years ago now, that I was able to find out the name of her first husband. Apparently the fact that she had previously been married, and widowed, was a fact not mentioned while my mother and her siblings were growing up. I have since been able to find the record of that marriage, in England.
 
Back
Top