I am hoping forum members will give me their favourite tips AKA "dos" and "donts" for one name studies. I have only approached the idea in a haphazard and piecemeal fashion on a very small scale and need to go about it in a more orderly way.
Random thoughts on the matter:
Do it!
Membership of the Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS) is not essential, but their email list (which they call a forum for some historical reason) has considerable expertise. Some regions (eg. Derbyshire) have excellent regional meetings too. Be aware that to register a name costs an additional fee.
Get a handle on the size of the venture - Stephen Archer's most excellent
Surname Atlas will give the size and distribution of a name (yes Adrienne, forename as well!) from the 1881 census. The
NationalTrust/SpatialLiteracy site will do the same I think. I have over 450 Micklethwaites in 1881 and that's plenty big enough. Bigger than that and it's going to take a lot of time and energy.
I started mine in the hope that I might find out more about my 3xgg'father - I didn't! This is not uncommon with an ONS. Be clear what your objectives are. (BTW I hate objectives, so just being interested is good enough for me!)
Be systematic from the start - doing it my way, bit by bit, leads to all sorts of problems when your database can't cope with something new, etc. It's easy enough to get tools to
scrape data off websites, but much more difficult to revisit the site when it's been updated as you have then to compare the new scrape with the old - maybe you need to find a way to keep the scrapes for later comparison.
As with all FH, record where you found stuff, and why you chose to do something/somebody.
Recognise that if you do start it, it will get big, and go global. It's addictive. I wasn't interested in certain stuff originally - eventually I had to go there, so accept you're going to do it from the start!
Get help - it's a big job unless your study is small. The GOONS aren't set up for collaborative ventures - you have to have a named person.
I've had my best feedback from a web site dedicated to the ONS - get one - there are plenty of people here who can advise (me included)
Think carefully about how you are going to record your ONS. FH programmes aren't necessarily best set up to handle several separate trees. I use an Excel spreadsheet (well, about 17 different ones actually, but all linked). The
GOONS email list can be viewed by non-members - search on there for discussion on what different folks recommend.
That'll do for starters. Jennie probably has some ideas too.
Any questions, please ask.
HTH Andy.