• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Odd occupation in 1911 Irish census

JamesW

LostCousins Member
In the 1911 Irish census Lewis Porter's occupation is listed as "singer in a bleach works". Was this some sort of rudimentary musak for the workers? I think it is probably a technical term, but I have not found it after a little googling. Lewis was my grandmother's first cousin.
 
The link to the record is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001550790/

I did think of the possibility that the word "singer" is actually from "singe" but I can't find a reference to singe in reference to bleaching. I have made an assumption that the bleach works was processing flax, but this may be incorrect. It could have been producing bleach, for all I know. But on the assumption that it might be in relation to flax processing I searched and found an informative article at decktowel.com. I have sent a query to their info email. I'll post anything I find out here.
 
Well that was quick. I have heard back from the president of the decktowel company who says:

Interesting, I have not heard of that position before. I am wondering if maybe something was misconstrued. A sizer in a fabric manufacturer back in the day was someone who applied sizing to the fabric. That’s about all I can think of. Conversely in the tobacco factories in Cuba there was position know as a reader. They read from literary classics to the tobacco rollers as they rolled cigars. Maybe a singer had a similar role in the bleach works!!
​
The 1911 census was filled in by a household member, and in this case it was Lewis himself, so I'm pretty sure the word is "singer". The fact about the readers in Cuban tobacco factories does lend a little support to the notion that the factory might have paid for a singer to entertain the workers.

Or, maybe Lewis was a bit of a wag and described himself as a singer because he sang a lot as he worked.
 
Back
Top