Leona5329
LostCousins Member
I have an incidence of two ancestors drowning in 1874 - a mother and son. Witnesses saw the mother jump into a freezing river to rescue her son. The child's body was washed up a few days later downstream but the mother's body was never found. There was a newspaper article with the story, hence how I found out the details. There was an inquest and death by drowning was the cause of death for the 8 year old boy.
My question is - would there be a death certificate issued for the mother? Is there a 'presumption of death' as there is now and would it be the same period of time - I believe it is 7 years at this time?
Thanks,
Leona
My question is - would there be a death certificate issued for the mother? Is there a 'presumption of death' as there is now and would it be the same period of time - I believe it is 7 years at this time?
Thanks,
Leona