• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New to the forum but not to family history

Lankylady

LostCousins Member
Hello there, although I'm new to the forum I've been a member of Lost Cousins for many years. I first started researching my family history back in 1987 searching first of all for my grandfather, William Morris, born in Hull Yorkshire around 1876. I say around because I've never been able to locate a birth certificate for him. It wasn't until some 30 years later that, with a great deal of detective work, I found his origins were with the Buttolph family from Norfolk. I'm fairly experienced in family history - although there's always something new to learn - and have written many family history articles for national genealogy magazines. I'm happy to help where I can - and to ask for help when I need it.
 
Adoption records are confidential.
You can look at the adoption register, and can then purchase an adoption certificate - which takes the place of a birth certificate for someone adopted. However, the adoption register is not available online, and the adoption certificate only gives the names of the adoptive parents, not the birth parents. The Genealogist website offers a search service in the adoption register for a small fee.

As Peter says, the adoption papers themselves are confidential and only available to the adoptee, or if deceased, their nearest descendants, I think.
 
Thank you Peter & Pauline. Although I'm not a descendant, I'm a close surviving cousin. My cousin died in 1962 aged 19, and both her parents are now deceased. There are no other children of the marriage. I am the son of the adoptive father's brother and closest living relative of my adopted cousin; I wonder whether that qualifies me as a close enough relative?

Do you know how I can access the Adoption Register(s)?
 
Do you know how I can access the Adoption Register(s)?
I doubt you can in Australia, but as I said above the Genealogist website offers a look-up service. Or, if you already know sufficient details, you can order an adoption certificate without first checking the register - see this pdf on the GRO website.

I'm afraid I don't know if, as the nearest living relative, you would be able to access the adoption papers, or whether they are only available to descendants. I expect you can find out by googling.
 
Back
Top