• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"New" image view

PhilGee

LostCousins Member
Just looked for some baptisms/burials on FMP and there is a thumbnail bar along the bottom of the screen for a batch of page images.

As an aside, I was checking the "new" information on 3 Ancestry trees for a family with 21 children (4 named Sarah - FMP has 16 entries and 3 named Sarah) born from 1797 to 1821 :eek: All entries have the mother's maiden surname.
 
A potentially useful feature.
I agree it is potentially useful but I wish you could minimise it when not needed, as you can with the similar view at Ancestry. It reduces what you can see of the actual image to just a narrow strip between the options at the top and the thumbnails at the bottom, which is particularly difficult when trying to locate an entry in long pages from old parish registers.

I was also struggling to discover how to get rid of the transcriptions which were floating around and getting in the way with some datasets. I think there is a way to turn these on and off but it wasn't obvious.
 
I agree it is potentially useful but I wish you could minimise it when not needed, as you can with the similar view at Ancestry. It reduces what you can see of the actual image to just a narrow strip between the options at the top and the thumbnails at the bottom, which is particularly difficult when trying to locate an entry in long pages from old parish registers.

I agree Pauline, the Ancestry version is much more user friendly, you can choose to have the filmstrip there or not; manually go to a different page by changing the first number in the filmstrip box (this is really handy if you want to view the first pages to verify which church you are seeing the records of) and if you click on the double head symbol at the right of the filmstrip a transcription is brought up for your record (really handy when you can't quite read the writing) something that I seem to be having more trouble with as the years go by. :rolleyes:
 
Has anyone found a way yet to minimise the filmstrip? The best solution I have is to reduce the zoom in the browser settings which reduces the filmstrip and options at the top, but not the image. Otherwise I found it really difficult reading parish register images in the strip visible.
 
Has anyone found a way yet to minimise the filmstrip?
Apparently there isn't a way. When the new view was being trialled there was no feedback to indicate people wanted to be able to minimise the filmstrip.

I gather it is being considered as a possibility for a future update, so it may be a good idea to let FMP have your views on this.
 
Apparently there isn't a way. When the new view was being trialled there was no feedback to indicate people wanted to be able to minimise the filmstrip. I gather it is being considered as a possibility for a future update, so it may be a good idea to let FMP have your views on this.

I have just contacted FMP about this issue. I will let you know what response I get.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tim
I've never had the filmstrip by default since they changed to the new viewer. At the top right of the image on my laptop is an "all pages" box (next to the "options" box) and I have click on that to display the film strip. Then above the strip is a "close" button when I want to get rid of it.
When I first load an image all that appears at the bottom of the image is the narrow bar with "rotate right", rotate left" etc.
 
I've never had the filmstrip by default since they changed to the new viewer.
You presumably have a fairly narrow screen? I think the view changes to how you describe it when the browser width falls below about 800 pixels.
 
I use a standard 15.6 inch laptop.


This is a random image from the 1901 census - I've blocked out most of it for copyright reasons.

FMP image.jpg

There is an "all pages" button in the top right corner; clicking on it gives this

FMP image 2.jpg

There is a "close" button just above the film strip on the right side and clicking that removes the film strip.

Edit to add - my laptop says my display resolution is 1920 x 1080, whatever that means :confused:
 
Last edited:
my laptop says my display resolution is 1920 x 1080, whatever that means
That means the display width is 1920 pixels so I don't really understand why you are getting this different view. Are you using a Windows computer, and what browser? Other possibilities are that your browser window is not the full width of your screen or that you have the magnification (zoom) set above 100%.

I can get what you are seeing if I increase my browser zoom.
 
I'm using a Windows 10 laptop, Firefox browser and the zoom is set to 100%. I've tried zooming in and out and at every setting from 50% to 200% the "all pages" button is still there. I've even tried altering the screen resolution down to 800 x 600 and the image just changes size and shape, everything in the image stays the same.
The arrows for going forwards or backwards a page are about 5 mm from the edges of my screen as you can see in the image in post #11. he browser header touches the edges of the screen and the browser header touches the top of the screen while the bottom edge of every page touches the task bar which touches the bottom of the screen..



It's 4-ish year old Lenovo Ideapad, if that makes a difference.
 
This is all very strange! If I zoom to 175% in the browser settings I get Susan's page, albeit with much larger "buttons". And I can then select all pages to get the film strip (which takes most of the laptop screen)
And as commented previously zooming to 50% gives me a good view of the image, with the options (eg download) just about useable.
 
It has me baffled, too!

Susan, which of the following do you see at the top of FMP pages:

image1.JPG

or
image2.JPG
 
I have just contacted FMP about this issue. I will let you know what response I get.

Here is the response I received from FMP, hopefully as more people bring this problem to their attention something will be done.

" Thank you for getting in touch and for your feedback regarding our image viewer

The option to turn off the page navigation tool wasn’t considered critical by members in the testing we did for the first release.

Since launch, we’ve learned that customers such as yourself would very much like the option to tailor the features to fit, which is understandable. We will continue to monitor its usage and any feedback we receive with a view of implementing any changes in the future.

In the meantime, your feedback and comments have also been passed on. "
 
Here is the response I received from FMP, hopefully as more people bring this problem to their attention something will be done.

" Thank you for getting in touch and for your feedback regarding our image viewer

The option to turn off the page navigation tool wasn’t considered critical by members in the testing we did for the first release.

Since launch, we’ve learned that customers such as yourself would very much like the option to tailor the features to fit, which is understandable. We will continue to monitor its usage and any feedback we receive with a view of implementing any changes in the future.

In the meantime, your feedback and comments have also been passed on. "


I also sent feedback & received the same reply
 
Back
Top