• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

New FreeBMD

New FreeBMD search page.
I like the way you can download records in CSV format.
Sometimes I will find several possible results from a search, and it is very handy to be able to save them in CSV format and open in Excel.
 
Looks useful but too long winded for me at present I like the old system which allows me to search over a width of data. Many a time solving a problem.
 
Too many clicks to get to spouse. Why so complicated? Will continue with old site unless some changes are made.
 
I experimented with my gg grandparents marriage as her name is mistranscribed in the GRO index. On the old site I enter his name and year of marriage, select the page number and the 4 entries are returned. It's obvious which his spouse is as the one of the surnames returned bears a resemblance to her family name. I can also immediately see the postem that I entered years ago when I bought the certificate. Both entries have the postem.

On the new site I put the same name and year for gg grandfather. He was fortunately the only 'fit'. I then clicked through to the page link to see the possible gg grandmother. I double clicked to see her entry and there at the bottom is the postem. An extra page to get the information. I was partly experimenting to check the postem was still available.

The verdict - as pretty as it is I'll stick with the old site for now.
 
Not a fan at all. One of the appeals, to me, of the original site, is the compactness of the old format...boxes all close together, on the same page. Tick, fill boxes, choose, find... bish, bash, bosh!

I find the search for possible marriage partners irritating because I can only put in one name and I have to follow another link to find possible spouses.

I'll stick with the old site... the new one doesn't work for me. Looks pretty... but that's as far as it goes. When something ain't broke there's nothing to fix!!
 
Back
Top