• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

"New" DNA match list layout

PhilGee

LostCousins Member
Just opened the matches page and it shows 3.5 matches (the fourth just shows the first half of the box)!
Do these web designers actually have a brain? It seems that they now employ "mobile phone addicts" who are only able to design "touch screen" interfaces (probably brought in from the Youview design team).

..... I'm going to lay down with an ice-pack !

Phil
 
My matches lists don't appear to have altered, even so I share your frustration with pages that seem to be designed to only suit mobile phone users.
 
Bob, Phil etc, It seems that a subset of Ancestry's community has been selected to test a new version of their "DNA Matches" pages. I get the same results on my laptop and Kindle Fire (same result, slightly different layout).
Instead of a table of DNA cousins, with groups and notes recorded on the right hand side, each individual match has been given more space, so you get 2-3 cousins per screen instead of ten.
Groups have moved from the right to the left, and on my laptop, if your cousin is in more than one group, the dots overlap. Helpful ?? not.
They now tell you the %age match of your DNA - so the first ten to fifteen of my cousins have a figure, the remaining 17,500 have "<1%". Not helpful
There is now a green "View Match" button, that as well as adding another few lines on the Kindle is immediately below the man/lady/photo icon that still has a hyperlink that opens your cousins details. Pointless ?
Each cousin now comes in their own box, with a margin, instead of a single line separation, and there is another line/margin between the cousin and the group symbol/notes
All these new features make it look pretty but take up space.
With the old screen, if I wanted to send a screenshot of shared matches to another member I could get ten on a screenshot. I now need three or four screenshots.
If I select my DNA cousins with 10cm DNA I will end up with two to three thousand or more - this was doable, if not a bit longwinded, at ten to a screen. at 2-3 it is probably impossible.
Whilst I pick up a fair number of cousins through surname search, those with unlinked trees are not found. They can be significant cousins, the new system will make it far harder to find them.
will we be getting a questionaire ? I have not found an easy way to complain to Ancestry.
john
 
A second image: with common ancestors and a large "person" count.

if there is a single person tree, you get the usual "lazy" output of "1 persons" :eek:
 

Attachments

  • example2.png
    example2.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Like
Reactions: Tim
John,
I have 16 groups for my 3gt-grandparent pairs, one for indicating the "common ancestors" are further back and one (in the example) indicating that the notes contain the relationship (in this case shown as 1R1C - my father's first cousin; 1C1R would be my first cousin's child. The notes also identify the common ancestors and the child leading to the match.

Phil
 
Back
Top