Valzie
LostCousins Member
In Wigtownshire, with the "Mac"or "Mc" at the beginning of surnames, it's a case of now you see it, now you don't.
When I began hunting the children of Peter McKie and Margaret Blackstocks, born between 1807 and 1820, I found the father's name listed sometimes as McKie, sometimes as Kie; and at first I wondered if this could be the same man. Death registrations of the children confirmed that indeed he was. And as late as 1857, his grandson, another Peter, married in Leswalt, Wigtownshire, as Peter Kie - and then, having moved to Dunbartonshire with his wife Helen Torrance, showed up in the 1861 census as Peter McKie.
When I began hunting the children of Peter McKie and Margaret Blackstocks, born between 1807 and 1820, I found the father's name listed sometimes as McKie, sometimes as Kie; and at first I wondered if this could be the same man. Death registrations of the children confirmed that indeed he was. And as late as 1857, his grandson, another Peter, married in Leswalt, Wigtownshire, as Peter Kie - and then, having moved to Dunbartonshire with his wife Helen Torrance, showed up in the 1861 census as Peter McKie.