Sorry, it doesn't do it for me because an Elder is a senior member of a church, particularly the Mormon Church.I suggest Elders. In aged care in Australia we use this term to refer to our residents. I like it.
BarbK
We could all be looking at this from differing points of view, based on age.As for answering the question what should those of pensionable age be called, I think Elders probably serves , leaving Senior status to the over 55's. I am sure my sister would want some further definition for her 'oldies' so perhaps might serve?![]()
I'm glad you mention Superannuation as that always baffles me when my sister refers to same as the Oz (and clearly NZ) term for a 'State Pension'. In the UK it is always a State Pension, whilst Superannuation is the technical (and little used term) for a private pension; either as offered by your Employer or taken out personally. So, playing with words, your eventual retirement income is your state pension plus any 'superannuated' private income.We receive National Superannuation for which the current qualifying age is 65 for both genders
Not quite right.I'm glad you mention Superannuation as that always baffles me when my sister refers to same as the Oz (and clearly NZ) term for a 'State Pension'. In the UK it is always a State Pension, whilst Superannuation is the technical (and little used term) for a private pension; either as offered by your Employer or taken out personally. So, playing with words, your eventual retirement income is your state pension plus any 'superannuated' private income.
There used to be a higher tax rate for pensioners in the UK, which was the result of clawing back an increase in the personal allowance which applied above a certain age, but the allowance has now, I think, been abolished (and the personal allowance for everyone increased).We are not 'allowed' to have an income from any sort of pension on top of our NZ one, all pensioners have to have equal income in that regard but we can have a job and earn interest and have dividends but it's all taxed at a higher rate.
I'm glad you mention Superannuation as that always baffles me when my sister refers to same as the Oz (and clearly NZ) term for a 'State Pension'. In the UK it is always a State Pension, whilst Superannuation is the technical (and little used term) for a private pension; either as offered by your Employer or taken out personally. So, playing with words, your eventual retirement income is your state pension plus any 'superannuated' private income.
Why lie of course and to hell with semantics. Age is the qualifier here as is cutting costs. (As you clearly demonstrated when seeking out 'Reduced Bargains' when Tesco food shopping pre-pandemic days).On the previous occasion I was truthful, saying that although I was over 70 I couldn't afford to retire, but my reward for honesty was to pay full price. What would you do in my position (and no, Bob, I don't want my wife cutting my hair)?
I have been brushing up on Australian Superannuation as I was not sure how it worked. I also had chance to speak with a cousin who is visiting in a couple of weeks time. Before he retired he held a fairly high ranking Union position and maintains we (the UK) should have copied the Australian practice of making it compulsory for Employers to pay a percentage (then 9% and now apparently 10%) into their employee 'Super' funds. He, being someway to the left politically -no surprise there as a Union official- was scathing about the way (in his words) Conservatives in general and Maggie Thatcher in particular passed legislation to curb the Unions after they sought to advocate similar in the UK. It was not going to happen as the word 'compulsory' does not sit comfortably on the shoulders of politicians and businesses in the UK. Pension modifications were made under various guises (none using the word superannuation) but opt outs and 'ways around' made the whole thing a mere shadow of the Australian version.For Australians, Super is automatically created when you get your first job. The employer is required to pay a percentage of your wages into your account, and you are allowed to "co-contribute" if you wish. Those who can live on their Super or other investments are known in Australia as "Self funded Retirees".
I think that in fairness I should explain to members outside the UK that in this country employers do have to make pension contributions on behalf of their employees, and whilst there are opt-outs it is only the employee who can opt out, not the employer. You'll find the details here. At the moment the employer's contribution is only 3% but they also pay the government 13.8% in 'National Insurance' contributions on earnings above a fairly low threshold.I have been brushing up on Australian Superannuation as I was not sure how it worked. I also had chance to speak with a cousin who is visiting in a couple of weeks time. Before he retired he held a fairly high ranking Union position and maintains we (the UK) should have copied the Australian practice of making it compulsory for Employers to pay a percentage (then 9% and now apparently 10%) into their employee 'Super' funds. He, being someway to the left politically -no surprise there as a Union official- was scathing about the way (in his words) Conservatives in general and Maggie Thatcher in particular passed legislation to curb the Unions after they sought to advocate similar in the UK. It was not going to happen as the word 'compulsory' does not sit comfortably on the shoulders of politicians and businesses in the UK. Pension modifications were made under various guises (none using the word superannuation) but opt outs and 'ways around' made the whole thing a mere shadow of the Australian version.
It is my understanding that our government has put the CPP funds into general revenue.Australia has the 4th highest Pension fund (ie Superannuation) in the world -approaching 4 trillion Australian dollars.
I totally agree. I am neither a pastor nor a statesman. I'm used to being referred to as a Senior.As for a suggestion for a name instead of Old Age Pensioners which I don't like, nor do I like Elders, I think Seniors, sounds the best
The trouble with 'Seniors' is you could drive a bus through it. Everyone over the age of 50 (never mind 55) believes -and who can challenge - they have reached 'Senior' status. Bus passes (in the UK) are still issued at age 60 - not to Pensioners but to Seniors.I totally agree. I am neither a pastor nor a statesman. I'm used to being referred to as a Senior.
Oh no they are not!Bus passes (in the UK) are still issued at age 60 - not to Pensioners but to Seniors.