I have been researching my family history on and off for five years. In that time, I have recorded women by their maiden names and, when merging information on FTM, have ignored their married names.
However, I have a couple of female relatives who were given one name at birth and married with a different name. For instance, one of my great-grandmothers was born out of wedlock and is listed on her birth certificate as Jessie Rice (her mother's maiden name). By the time Jessie married, her mother was living in a de facto relationship with a man (who may be Jessie's father) and it is his name on the marriage certificate where she is listed as Jessie Matthews. She is buried as Jessie Loder, her married name.
Her brother also went from Ernest Rice to Ernest Matthews.
It seems obvious to me now that I should probably include all names in my recording of information -- but one learns by experience!
With 2000+ names on my family tree, I am now wondering whether I should go back and give all the married women both their maiden and married names. What do other family historians do?
However, I have a couple of female relatives who were given one name at birth and married with a different name. For instance, one of my great-grandmothers was born out of wedlock and is listed on her birth certificate as Jessie Rice (her mother's maiden name). By the time Jessie married, her mother was living in a de facto relationship with a man (who may be Jessie's father) and it is his name on the marriage certificate where she is listed as Jessie Matthews. She is buried as Jessie Loder, her married name.
Her brother also went from Ernest Rice to Ernest Matthews.
It seems obvious to me now that I should probably include all names in my recording of information -- but one learns by experience!
With 2000+ names on my family tree, I am now wondering whether I should go back and give all the married women both their maiden and married names. What do other family historians do?