Hi Pauline, in my experience I've found that this date is not the actual date of the wedding but the date that the register was updated. The actual wedding could be the wedding or it could be years before.I can see that the line redacting the entry above has obscured the date of the marriage
I agree, though I've usually found the register to have been updated fairly promptly. But whatever the date, any marriage was being elusive!Hi Pauline, in my experience I've found that this date is not the actual date of the wedding but the date that the register was updated. The actual wedding could be the wedding or it could be years before.
Yes. I agree with SLJ that the date looks like 30.8, and the year could begin with a 7 but as you can really only see the stem, I guess it might be a 9.Was the Ancestry entry in the same condition?
I think that's right.After reading the below info would it be right in thinking the name change cannot be after 1991?
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/.../1939-register/
since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued. The records remained with the NHS up until 1991 – therefore most changes of name between 1939 and 1991 are listed in the records
The 1939 Register was updated until 1991, and the updates include many changes of name. These are mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage, but name changes for other reasons are also included. A change of name accompanied by the annotation ‘NR230’ denotes a change of name for a reason other than marriage.
I wondered if the EX referred to the place, but not all name changes by marriage have the code CR283, so I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. A marriage has been found for the earlier name change but the code there is AMA M (with a superscript c, I think).We already know that name changes by marriage have the code CR283, as in this case. But what about that "EX"?
I was relying on the TNA guide to be reliable about the NR230 code, plus the consensus that CR283 is often found with changes due to marriage.I wondered if the EX referred to the place, but not all name changes by marriage have the code CR283, so I’m not quite sure what you mean by this. A marriage has been found for the earlier name change but the code there is AMA M (with a superscript c, I think).
Yes, I think that may be right - I was unsure if it was ic or an apostrophe c.What I see is "IC" above it
The registers were held by the GRO, and though they were technically handed over to the NHS c2007 they continued to be stored at Southport (and may still be there).If these registers were initially held locally, and sent to the NHS after 1952
It would have depended on when the individual asked for their medical card to be updated - if they had no need to visit the doctor there could have been a considerable delay (though, of course, in the late 60s and 70s many women would have been 'on the pill'). Changes of doctor on moving are likely to have been recorded promptly, but that information is on the part of the right-hand page that we can't see.I've usually found the register to have been updated fairly promptly.
It was only necessary to publish a name change if the deed poll was 'enrolled'. Most name changes were and still are the result of marriage or divorce, so wouldn't normally be evidenced by a deed poll, or advertised anywhere.You would usually need to publish a name change for it to work. That was done, with a deed poll or without, almost always by a notice in the London (or other) Gazette. Now it's in the regulations as part of the process. So the answer to the question of where to look for a record (if not the 1939 register itself) is "in the Gazette".
My parents changed their surname after they married and before I was born. I have lots of evidence of the use of both surnames at various dates, but no actual evidence of the change of name itself. They said it was changed by deed poll, but it isn't in the Gazette and I haven't found anything in any newspapers about it. I think they had been using the 'new' name most of the time anyway, and so a deed poll would just have been a formality and they probably wouldn't have felt any need to advertise the change. My Dad's full name included his mother's maiden name as a middle name and for various reasons he used that as his surname professionally (he was a musician) and then decided to drop his original surname (his father's surname) altogether.It was only necessary to publish a name change if the deed poll was 'enrolled'. Most name changes were and still are the result of marriage or divorce, so wouldn't normally be evidenced by a deed poll, or advertised anywhere.
I'm struggling to find reference to name changes in the Gazette. I'm probably navigating the site totally wrong.
It should be noted, however, that notice type, notice code and location searches should only be used if you are searching for notices that were published from 1998 onwards. This is because data from 1998 onwards was created from extensible markup language (XML) allowing all filters to be used to search and refine results from this data.
You would usually need to publish a name change for it to work. That was done, with a deed poll or without, almost always by a notice in the London (or other) Gazette. Now it's in the regulations as part of the process. So the answer to the question of where to look for a record (if not the 1939 register itself) is "in the Gazette".
For what it's worth the GRO marriage indexes give her husband's surname as Rybinski, but I suspect it is one of those surnames that changes according to gender.Joyce Valerie Klopke married 1950 and became Rybinska
Just in case anyone misunderstands, The Deed Poll Office is a commercial venture, and has no official status (in fact there is no official body). There is nevertheless a lot of useful information on their website.The Deed Poll Office also has a lot of useful information on this, saying much the same has has been said here (but with more authority, of course).