I had no details of my late mother`s family other than the names of her parents on her marriage certificate which my parents had shown me in the 1960`s prior to my own marriage. Before then I had believed her mother to have been Grandma Adams but the marriage certificate showed different surnames for her father and mother. It was then I was told that Grandma Adams had been her foster mother until she was about 7 when she was sent back to Barnardo's . It was never spoken about again although we continued to visit Grandma Adams and her two sons uncle Charles and Uncle Percy.
Some years after my mum`s death I applied to Barnardo's for her admission details and after receiving these plus 3 beautiful photographs of my mum my search for her ancestors began. It has been a fascinating journey finally leading me to make personal contact with my mother`s birth family through the children of her half brothers and sisters. They in turn have given me photos of my mum`s birth mother and and all 7 other half brothers and sisters. There was nothing in the Barnardo's records to help me trace mum`s birth father other than he had been a soldier she had been introduced to by `a friend`!!
Some years after my mum`s death I applied to Barnardo's for her admission details and after receiving these plus 3 beautiful photographs of my mum my search for her ancestors began. It has been a fascinating journey finally leading me to make personal contact with my mother`s birth family through the children of her half brothers and sisters. They in turn have given me photos of my mum`s birth mother and and all 7 other half brothers and sisters. There was nothing in the Barnardo's records to help me trace mum`s birth father other than he had been a soldier she had been introduced to by `a friend`!!