HowardS
LostCousins Star
My grandfather, born in India in 1895 and died there in 1940, was educated in England, served in the Leicester Regiment throughout WW1, then in the Indian Army for the rest of his life, wrote fascinating diaries detailling his military life. For him, family life was very much an occasional occupation, although he did "keep trying" until the arrival of my father, his only son....
His "principal diary", presented as a large metal-covered volume including neatly hand-written text, carefully drawn diagrams, pedigrees and coats of arms, provides a fairly detailed digest of the pedigree of Shelton of Shelton Hall, Norfolk and of Barningham, Suffolk, from which family he (or perhaps his nouveau-riche Calcutta merchant father) believed he was descended. This pedigree was clearly copied from some published genealogy. But clearly he did no original research as that branch of the Sheltons became extinct in the late 17th century, according to the published pedigree, whereas he could only trace his own direct ancestors to the second half of the 18th century....
So I set out to try to bridge the missing generations, and, unsurprisingly, found a different origin for our line of Sheltons (in Northamptonshire).
And whereas for five generations in my own line (down to my one son), the family name has been passed down by a single path of only-sons), in previous generations two or more sons have had sons, so that I now know of a fair number of cousins bearing the Shelton name, living principally in Northamptonshire and Australia. Of the former, I have actually met many, but of the latter very few as yet. However I am in regular contact with many of the antipodeans via social media channels.
My name, incidentally, is Howard Shelton. I live in France where I am a professional singer.
His "principal diary", presented as a large metal-covered volume including neatly hand-written text, carefully drawn diagrams, pedigrees and coats of arms, provides a fairly detailed digest of the pedigree of Shelton of Shelton Hall, Norfolk and of Barningham, Suffolk, from which family he (or perhaps his nouveau-riche Calcutta merchant father) believed he was descended. This pedigree was clearly copied from some published genealogy. But clearly he did no original research as that branch of the Sheltons became extinct in the late 17th century, according to the published pedigree, whereas he could only trace his own direct ancestors to the second half of the 18th century....
So I set out to try to bridge the missing generations, and, unsurprisingly, found a different origin for our line of Sheltons (in Northamptonshire).
And whereas for five generations in my own line (down to my one son), the family name has been passed down by a single path of only-sons), in previous generations two or more sons have had sons, so that I now know of a fair number of cousins bearing the Shelton name, living principally in Northamptonshire and Australia. Of the former, I have actually met many, but of the latter very few as yet. However I am in regular contact with many of the antipodeans via social media channels.
My name, incidentally, is Howard Shelton. I live in France where I am a professional singer.