Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
Perhaps I should come clean about the medallist. The book which contained his photo was probably the result of a ONS showing dozens/scores of 'the family' who originated near the Welsh/English boarder. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a link to that part of the 'family' later than about 1700.
I MAY have found the missing link and would appreciate suggestions from other members as to how I might prove the connection.
I and known cousins have independently traced our family line back to Richard who married Letitia at St Chad's church in Shrewsbury in 1751.
The medallist part of the family is described in quite some detail in the ONS book and one of the 'side shoots' mentions Richard who was baptised in 1730 at the village of Condover, just south of Shrewsbury. Unfortunately, there are no later references included but I believe that might be my ancestor, mainly due to the lack of other alternatives. The difficulty lies in trying to prove that both Richards are the same person. If the link can be established then my line of ancestors can be extended back a further 8 generations to the early 1500s.
More recent marriages would show the father of each partner on the certificate but that information does not appear to be available in this case. The parish records list the parents for the baptism but not the marriage. Would 'on the spot' investigation be likely to yield more information? I do know a former work colleague who now lives in Shrewsbury and might be willing to ask around if I can tell him what is needed.