My cousin's daughter brought me the maternal family Bible today. It is huge and has a really ornate cover and backing with clasps to close it but is in very poor condition. I have to find someone who does bookbinding to fix it up at least a bit. There is an inscription on the front page saying "M.E. Bowyer from her beloved husband for a wedding present April 15, 1877" Unfortunately, the only George Bowyer in my tree who fits the dates is my great-grandmother's brother, so I have no idea how it wound up in our family. Also, the only marriage information I can find for George and Mary Hopkins is the index from 1876.
There are pages towards the middle with names; we were amused to see where my grandmother's name is listed, the space beside has been scribbled over. Her first husband's name no doubt; apparently my grandfather hated anyone mentioning that she loved someone before him. And loved him greatly she apparently did but he died within a year or two of their marriage.
Also, this is a really different version of the Bible, by someone named John Brown.