A few years before my father died we were talking about where he grew up, he mentioned a family name I hadn't heard before and when asked how he knew this information he said...well it's in the family bible I think. What family bible??? I had never heard such a thing existed - I was in my forties, had spent the first 10 years of my life living in the same house as my grandparents (Dad's parents) and no one had ever mentioned this before - why? It seemed the family felt there was some scandal - pages missing from the bible etc. so never mentioned it, my interest was piqued. Dad offered to find out where the bible was and a few weeks later the bible was unearthed from one of my aunts. It's an 1852 lectern bible and on the front pages my 2x Great Grandmother had written details of herself, her marriage and the birth of her 3 children, including times and addresses of their births and baptisms - gold dust!
This got me started and the story I uncovered from there has kept me hooked ever since, now over 20 years and I'm still finding more information. I love the social history side as much as anything and spend as much time researching the whole branch as tracing lines back as far as possible. It's amazing what you can discover by looking into where people lived and what occupations they had.
Oh, the missing pages - I don't think there are any, from the way the information is set out and the pages used I think it is complete, but that doesn't mean there was no scandal. My research shows my 2x Great Grandmother was illegitimate. Her mother (my 3x Great Grandmother) seems to have been the mistress of a Bath business man from about the age of 17 or 18 (he was 48 years older than her), bore him at least 4 children, including my 2x G Grandmother before marrying him when his first wife died and they then had one legitimate daughter. When he died 10 years later, leaving them some property and money in his will, my 3x G Grandmother remarried within 6 weeks of his death! and so it goes on...
This got me started and the story I uncovered from there has kept me hooked ever since, now over 20 years and I'm still finding more information. I love the social history side as much as anything and spend as much time researching the whole branch as tracing lines back as far as possible. It's amazing what you can discover by looking into where people lived and what occupations they had.
Oh, the missing pages - I don't think there are any, from the way the information is set out and the pages used I think it is complete, but that doesn't mean there was no scandal. My research shows my 2x Great Grandmother was illegitimate. Her mother (my 3x Great Grandmother) seems to have been the mistress of a Bath business man from about the age of 17 or 18 (he was 48 years older than her), bore him at least 4 children, including my 2x G Grandmother before marrying him when his first wife died and they then had one legitimate daughter. When he died 10 years later, leaving them some property and money in his will, my 3x G Grandmother remarried within 6 weeks of his death! and so it goes on...