• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My Ancestors beta

I suspect you'll find that you've been searching for someone who wasn't the head of the household. Ancestry and Findmypast use the same (LDS) transcription, but where a household is split between two pages Findmypast use two sets of references.
I'm sure I should know the answer to this, and at present I can't find it in the LC help anywhere, but I've just entered a relative from the 1881 census who is a servant in a household of apparently unconnected people. She appears on the page following the head of the household, but in the census index the whole household appear under the same reference.

I think in similar circumstances, where I've been adding a whole household, I've put everyone in with the same page number.

So which page number should I be using when entering just the one person - the one she appears on, or that of the head of the household? When I click the arrow to check the reference, she is, of course, not in the list of people that I see at FMP.

Thanks.
 
Pauline, do you view the original images? I often view preceding and following pages/images.. curiosity as much as anything
 
Pauline, do you view the original images? I often view preceding and following pages/images.. curiosity as much as anything
When entering information at LC? If so, it depends. Sometimes a mistranscription makes it unclear if I've found the right family, and sometimes the transcription is so unlikely I feel I must look and see if it really says that!

For my own records I generally only collect census entries which include actual ancestors, and then I always check the original images.
 
I'm sure I should know the answer to this, and at present I can't find it in the LC help anywhere, but I've just entered a relative from the 1881 census who is a servant in a household of apparently unconnected people. She appears on the page following the head of the household, but in the census index the whole household appear under the same reference.
The instructions on the form say "When a private household is split over two pages use the references for the first page for the entire household".
 
The instructions on the form say "When a private household is split over two pages use the references for the first page for the entire household".
Thanks, Peter. I was pretty sure that's what I was supposed to do, and that I'd seen it somewhere on the site, but clearly I was missing what was right in front of me.

(I was going to add a smiley but that option seems to have disappeared - and I'm sure it's not just me this time.)
 
Thanks, Peter. I was pretty sure that's what I was supposed to do, and that I'd seen it somewhere on the site, but clearly I was missing what was right in front of me.

(I was going to add a smiley but that option seems to have disappeared - and I'm sure it's not just me this time.)

The smileys were not available for me via IE but are shown here on Firefox:)
 
The smileys were not available for me via IE but are shown here on Firefox:)
After a bit of experimenting it seems that using compatibility view in IE11 was causing the problem. Previously this was needed to get the reply with quote to work, but now it seems all the rich text options don't show up until you turn it off.:rolleyes:
 
The reference checking arrow seems not to be working for me today - it just takes me to the FMP homepage. I've tried logging out of FMP but the same happens. It was working fine yesterday.
 
The reference checking arrow isn't working for me either. While we're on the subject of things not working, could you tell me why, every now and then, e.g. today, the Lost Cousins website asks me to log in with my ancient e-mail address? I replaced this ages ago. I can't remember exactly when but it was a long time ago.
 
Sorry, Findmypast had a problem in the past 24 hours which prevented all links working, and whilst they fixed it earlier today for most links the census references check link (which is much more complex) still needs to be looked at.
 
Sorry, Findmypast had a problem in the past 24 hours which prevented all links working, and whilst they fixed it earlier today for most links the census references check link (which is much more complex) still needs to be looked at.
All working again - sorry for the inconvenience.
 
OK, many thanks - that's good to know.

It does confirm what a useful feature this is - I really missed it!
 
I have just been checking my ancestors census references.
For one of my 1911 households the check comes up with a whole extra household on FMP, that are not there on the 1911census site.
Reference 29762/112 the Moffatts are not on my original image taken from the 1911census site.
 
I have just been checking my ancestors census references.
For one of my 1911 households the check comes up with a whole extra household on FMP, that are not there on the 1911census site.
Reference 29762/112 the Moffatts are not on my original image taken from the 1911census site.
Note that the correct schedule number is 114 - you can see this on the enumerator's list. They are at the 1911 site under RG14PN29762 SN112
 
Hi Peter,

It's a great tool, but I was wondering if there is a way to include a suggestion? Is there a way to indicate which refs have been checked and which haven't?
Maybe colour the icon differently? This would help people with large lists, and people who have checked their listing and then added new people?
 
Hi Peter,

It's a great tool, but I was wondering if there is a way to include a suggestion? Is there a way to indicate which refs have been checked and which haven't?
Maybe colour the icon differently? This would help people with large lists, and people who have checked their listing and then added new people?
It would require an extra field for every individual, and could only ever be approximate since clicking the arrow is just the start of the process - the rest is down to the user.

Members with large lists should work from the top and keep a note of where they're up to (and in any case there are only a few hundred members who couldn't check every entry in under an hour).

As far as new entries are concerned, why would anyone not check them at the time of entry now that this feature is available? The ideal time to check the references is after entering the head of household, as in the event that an error is found only one entry would need to be corrected - a big timesaving for the average household.
 
:) I thought you'd say that, but if you don't ask you don't get.
 
Back
Top