Emma
Member
I had been trying to find an ancestor in the 1911 census but had no success searching for his full correct name, various alternative surnames and just with either first name or surname. I decided to try an address search using the address from the 1901 census. This was just a street name which then didn't appear as a search result. As it was Lane I thought it might form part of a larger street (this is just a street in a small town in Devon) so I started to look at the households shown. After checking a couple I decided to look at the heading stating "Related images" this brought up amongst other options a list made by the enumerator of the properties visited and the names of the head of the household. Lo and behold the first name listed was the one I was looking for - transcribed as Furyland instead of Furzland - an alternative I hadn't thought of. So it's certainly worth considering looking at these lists when searching as the enumerator's handwriting is usually quite good.