• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Misjudged Murderesses: Female Injustice in Victorian Britain Stephen Jakobi

  • Thread starter Thread starter At home in NZ
  • Start date Start date
A

At home in NZ

Guest
This is also available at Book Depository.
In Book Depository I can pay for books in my own currency which avoids offshore margin fees on Visa.

Although there is a currency converter in amazon.uk the converted amount doesn't appear until it gets to the payment part so I cannot compare the price with that in Book Depository without going through the process of purchasing.

In the past there have been links to BD in the LC newsletter, is there a way I can support LC with a purchase in BD of Misjudged Murderesses: Female Injustice in Victorian Britain Stephen Jakobi?
 
I have stopped recommending Book Depository (although I can get commission from them) because of their misleading advertising. They claim to offer free delivery worldwide, but in fact they adjust their price to reflect the cost of delivery in different countries.

However I have created this link that should allow you to support LostCousins (wherever you are in the world).

Wordery also quote prices in several currencies (including AUD though not NZD, I'm afraid), and also offer free delivery. As far as I can tell they don't pull the same trick as Book Depository (who are owned by Amazon) but maybe someone overseas can confirm that?
 
A general point - you can usually support LostCousins by using any link for the SAME website even if it relates to a different product, or even an offer that has expired..
 
I paid NZD 24.60.
Wordery is AUD 26.94 which is about NZD 29 plus offshore margin fee charged by the bank.
BD is definitely the way to go for me.
 
I recommend checking both sites if you're looking for the cheapest price.

I always check all sites but my main considerations are:
The uncertainty around exchange rate which when applied is often different from the advertised rate.
The additional fee charged by Visa when paying in foreign currency.
 
I just checked the amazon.ca site and it states that the book has not yet been published. It also states that it is about six cases, not eight, so perhaps it has been updated? In Canadian funds, it will cost $35.50, with free delivery as I have Prime.

ETA: I checked the library to see if they have it and discovered that this author has written another book - he seems to like the genre - called In the Mind of a Female Serial Killer, also set at the turn of last century. E-book only though, at the library.
 
Last edited:
I just checked the amazon.ca site and it states that the book has not yet been published
That's right - I did say in my newsletter that it wouldn't be out in North America until November.

You should be able to get it more cheaply than the price Amazon.ca are currently quoting - try the Wordery link in my newsletter or the Book Depository link in this discussion. Book Depository show me the price as C$17.08 but I expect they'll add on more for postage (even though they claim it is free).
 
I must have missed that part in your newsletter. :( I will continue to check the library; they do not generally put books that far ahead into their database.
 
Book Depository show me the price as C$17.08 but I expect they'll add on more for postage (even though they claim it is free).

I frequently use Book Depository, there is never an add on, what you see is what you pay.
Have checked out amazon uk, they have a statement 'free delivery in the UK' but when you open up the list of available prices you have to go through the process of ordering before you see the cost of delivery.
 
I frequently use Book Depository, there is never an add on, what you see is what you pay.
Yes, but what you see is different from what I see, even when the same currencies are selected. For example, the price they show me for Misjudged Murderesses in NZ currency is $20.48 (which they state is a saving of $8.78) compared with the price you paid of $24.60

Part of the difference could be GST, assuming that they account for the tax. Small value items sent by post from overseas often escape tax.

So whilst what you see is what you pay, when I'm including a link in my newsletter I like to know how much members overseas will end up paying.
 
I like to know how much members overseas will end up paying

Based on what you have said I don't think that's possible. Looking at BD right now it is showing me a price of NZ$24.39 with the statement You save NZ$13.20.

It seems the price fluctuates, perhaps according to the rate of exchange which changes all the time now, unlike set times in the past.

In my confirmation email, the cost shows
Delivery Free
VAT 0.00
Total 24.60

It doesn't matter to me whether you know how much anybody will pay, because I always look at all sites and buy it from wherever it's best for me. I can't speak for the thousands of other members though.
 
It doesn't matter to me whether you know how much anybody will pay, because I always look at all sites and buy it from wherever it's best for me. I can't speak for the thousands of other members though.
That's the problem - when I include a link in my newsletter some members will (quite reasonably) assume that I've checked it out. It may be that the only solution is to provide links to both Wordery and Book Depository - the problem with that is that it isn't currently possible to link to a specific page at Wordery, which means it's a little more difficult to compare prices (especially if there are multiple formats and multiple editions - not a problem in this case, but it does happen).
 
I initially went directly to amazon.ca and checked the price. I then used your link; the price was the same. Amazon did know who I was, however, when I clicked on your link. But, if I understand correctly, if I use your link then LC is benefited; whereas going directly to the site would not. I am not likely to buy the print version anyway; cost and space considerations do not permit that. I borrow print books from the library and buy e-books for my Kobo or Kindle app.
 
Back
Top