Britjan
LostCousins Star
When I first started tracking distant cousins particularly from the county of Norfolk in England who migrated to Canada many only stayed one generation before heading to the US. Having recently taken a closer look at the Canada 1881 census which you can enter at Lost Cousins I found a contingent of "Pennsylvania Dutch" who migrated up through Canada c 1861- 1881 and settled there. Some of this particular group in my case settled around the north shores of Lake Ontario for several generations before moving c 1901-1921 towards Canada's west coast where they still live.
It was looking at religious affiliation as well as occupation that prompted me to dig deeper. I think it was likely that ties to Mennonite and Free Methodist communities that drew my in-law connections north as much as the opportunity to "homestead".
It was looking at religious affiliation as well as occupation that prompted me to dig deeper. I think it was likely that ties to Mennonite and Free Methodist communities that drew my in-law connections north as much as the opportunity to "homestead".