It looks like Family Tree Builder is causing the problem as the first person does not change in the gedcom after changing the home person. However your tip does the job admirably - many thanks.As the author of FTA I'd be keen to find out why you are having an issue and solve this. The home person according to the GEDCOM file specification is the first person in the file. Can you check both files has My Heritage changed who the home person is ie: has it changed who the first person in each file is?
However there is a simpler way. A few versions back I introduced a feature to change home person. On the individuals tab select the person you want to make the new root person. Right click on that individual and select "change root person". This will then recalculate all the relationships and set them as appropriate for the new root person.
Although I do not know your application well enough to write any documentation I would be more than willing to test any written instructions, amend where necessary and even put in to a workable format - I write software useage guides as part of my job.One thing I do need to do is to make the options for various things more obvious and to write some proper documentation. It's not something I'm that good at so if anyone out there could help with documentation it would be massively appreciated.
Oh how I agree with you all! I have been very good and have 491 blood relatives entered and have only 4 hits
My living cousins tell me its because many of my UK ancestors died without children, so I have a feeling mine is a family line that's all gone or so far removed from the original name its going to take awhile for people to find me.
The original name??? Surely going back to the early/mid 1800s you have at least a couple of dozen different names all of whom are your direct ancestors? Have you traced all those lines forward to find every descendant who would be alive by the 1911 census?
My match potential went up to 1.2889, but still no one new yet. I suspect I'm in a long term waiting game and it will take decades before I find any matches.
I've had some luck through Mundia and Genes Reunited .
I take it you don't have an Ancestry subscription? If so then you could lookup Ancestry's 1911 census info to get the piece numbers?
you were lucky to hear back on an employer link because I've listed several and never got a bite.
Please what is Mundia? Genes R has been the source of some pure gold and a fair number of the genealogically challenged, but Mundia is a new one on me. If it 's so good, how did I miss it or never hear of it before?I'd like to award a gold star for Britjan for pointing me to Mundia a few weeks ago. It is a source of both contacts AND further info. Some of the stuff in the trees is extremely dodgy (so I am turning into one of those irritating people who send messages saying 'I don't think that's who his parents were') but if you hit a tree that's full of details for the last 100 years, the tree owner probably descends from those people and knows what they're talking about. (I have found why I couldn't find an entire family - they'd emigrated en masse to Canada.) In several cases, a tree has offered a marriage that I hadn't detected, and thus another cluster of descendants who can be entered on LC. (By the way, I do check out the facts, and don't just accept them.)
I mentioned that many of the more unusual surnames have disappeared, but my theory is that people changed their names once spelling became important (because they got fed up with telling people how they were spelled). That was certainly how I felt when I was young!It does happen - I think Peter himself wrote about names dying out in the UK.
I mentioned that many of the more unusual surnames have disappeared, but my theory is that people changed their names once spelling became important (because they got fed up with telling people how they were spelled). That was certainly how I felt when I was young!