• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Medal card

Kate

LostCousins Member
Hello. I have a medal card for Catherine Mary Fricker born 1864 Rotherhithe., Dis A 106382
She was awarded the Mercantile Marine ribbon and British Medal ribbon on the 5 Dec 1919.
According the National Maritime Museum there was a stewardess on the Mongolia in 1915 of this name, age 51, so this looks like the lady in my husband's tree. I have never been 'into' military genealogy but find this interesting. Would she have received these for being a stewardess? Thanks
 
Hello. I have a medal card for Catherine Mary Fricker born 1864 Rotherhithe., Dis A 106382
She was awarded the Mercantile Marine ribbon and British Medal ribbon on the 5 Dec 1919.
According the National Maritime Museum there was a stewardess on the Mongolia in 1915 of this name, age 51, so this looks like the lady in my husband's tree. I have never been 'into' military genealogy but find this interesting. Would she have received these for being a stewardess? Thanks
I don't know about these ribbons, but most decorations in WW1 were campaign medals awarded to all those who served in a particular theatre of war at a particular time. It's likely that these ribbons were awarded on a similar basis.
 
Thanks. I have just found a Minnie Mason who was a stewardess on a channel ferry in the war. She received medals too. I read that there weren't many stewardesses though. Will look into it some more.
 
Back
Top