This is my first posting so I hope that I have chosen the correct forum. Whilst my question relates to an entry I found in a parish in Somerset, I don't think that it is limited to that particular county.
I have found the marriage of my 6 x great-grandparents in the parish registers of Taunton St Mary which are included in the "Somerset, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1531 - 1812" dataset on Ancestry. If anyone wants to look at the entry, it is for James Marshall and Sarah Wood on 17 August 1723. Whereas other couples on the same page are described as being "of this parish" or "of the parish of...", my couple, and a few others, are described as "indwellers of this parish".
In this context, does "indweller" simply mean resident and if so, why are other couples described as being "of the parish" Is there a difference between the two or were they interchangeable terms? I've not come across this before in any other parish records. Is anyone else familiar with this description or does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
I have found the marriage of my 6 x great-grandparents in the parish registers of Taunton St Mary which are included in the "Somerset, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1531 - 1812" dataset on Ancestry. If anyone wants to look at the entry, it is for James Marshall and Sarah Wood on 17 August 1723. Whereas other couples on the same page are described as being "of this parish" or "of the parish of...", my couple, and a few others, are described as "indwellers of this parish".
In this context, does "indweller" simply mean resident and if so, why are other couples described as being "of the parish" Is there a difference between the two or were they interchangeable terms? I've not come across this before in any other parish records. Is anyone else familiar with this description or does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?