kiwilong
LostCousins Member
Hello all.
I'm hoping for a little help please. The information I would like is not available on my Ancestry subscription.
My maternal grandmother, Mary Ellen Swindells was born 5th April 1887 in Hulme, Manchester.
On the death of her mother and grandmother in 1892 she was effectively given to a childless couple, Frederick Joseph and Ellen O'Hara and grew up with the surname O'Hara.
In all fairness this was probably a good thing to happen to her and we all thought of the O'Hara family as ours,
I want to better understand what happened to Mary Ellen between 1892 and 1901, was there a connection between the birth family and the O'Hara couple.
In the 1891 census the O'Hara' lived at 24 Dougill Street, Hulme.
In the 1901 census Fred and Mary Ellen lived at 73 York Street, Hulme.
In 1892 Mary Ellen's brother who I assume gave her awy lived at 11 York Street Hulme.
so what I would like to know is when did the O'Hara's relocate to York Street, I.e. were they neighbors, friends or strangers.
The rate book entries for the appropriate years would awnser this question for me, at least in part.
In 1910 Fredrick had a brush with the law apparently and this also would interest me.
Thankyou in anticipation of your help
kiwilong.
I'm hoping for a little help please. The information I would like is not available on my Ancestry subscription.
My maternal grandmother, Mary Ellen Swindells was born 5th April 1887 in Hulme, Manchester.
On the death of her mother and grandmother in 1892 she was effectively given to a childless couple, Frederick Joseph and Ellen O'Hara and grew up with the surname O'Hara.
In all fairness this was probably a good thing to happen to her and we all thought of the O'Hara family as ours,
I want to better understand what happened to Mary Ellen between 1892 and 1901, was there a connection between the birth family and the O'Hara couple.
In the 1891 census the O'Hara' lived at 24 Dougill Street, Hulme.
In the 1901 census Fred and Mary Ellen lived at 73 York Street, Hulme.
In 1892 Mary Ellen's brother who I assume gave her awy lived at 11 York Street Hulme.
so what I would like to know is when did the O'Hara's relocate to York Street, I.e. were they neighbors, friends or strangers.
The rate book entries for the appropriate years would awnser this question for me, at least in part.
In 1910 Fredrick had a brush with the law apparently and this also would interest me.
Thankyou in anticipation of your help
kiwilong.