• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Marriage records labelled as banns in the new Suffolk collection

Stuart

LostCousins Member
While this relates to the new image-based Suffolk parish registers collections, I suspect the same issue may come up for other counties too - hence it's posted here.

Most of the marriage records I have found are tagged as marriage banns, not marriages. This prevents the record being added correctly to a person in a tree - the system does not create a new marriage event or link to an existing one. It affects the registers with pre-printed forms that came in after the new act in 1754. This is the collection Ancestry call "Suffolk, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1949".

Has anyone seen the same thing, whether in Suffolk or elsewhere? And has anyone complained to Ancestry, with what result? I shall be talking to them soon about it - to my mind it's a rather basic mistake and should be corrected ASAP.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
…

Most of the marriage records I have found are tagged as marriage banns, not marriages. …

Has anyone seen the same thing, whether in Suffolk or elsewhere? And has anyone complained to Ancestry, with what result? I shall be talking to them soon about it - to my mind it's a rather basic mistake and should be corrected ASAP.
I use FindMyPast, and - not in the new collection, just generally - more often find a bann, or bond, is listed as a marriage; clear enough (eventually) if the original image is linked, but otherwise I can only deduce it if the same (couple and place for example) are listed twice, three or four days (bond) or weeks (bann) apart.

Far too huge an error to fix - I've even given up bothering to tell them, unless I'm reporting some other error (in which case I will say something like "this document is a bann/bond and doesn't actually record the date of the marriage, though I know that to be xx/xx"). To be fair, when I've looked, they usually have accepted that observation.

It's like the (pretty universal) case of baptisms being recorded as births, and burials as deaths.
 
I’ve reported to Ancestry widespread errors of the sort you mention, Stuart. Do they do anything? Not usually! I’m still waiting for a parish mix up I reported in 2010 to be sorted. I’m afraid I no longer bother. I still add amendments where there are transcription errors, but otherwise I’ve given up.
 
It's frustrating, not because it confuses me - it usually wouldn't, because I have a lot of research experience - but because this is the sort of inaccuracy that leads newer researchers to jump to the wrong conclusions. It's easy to complain about online trees with incorrect information in them, but we were all new researchers once and know how easy it can be to be misled. It certainly doesn't help when Ancestry and FMP label records incorrectly. Any resulting false assumptions added to an online tree then generate 'hints' and get copied into other people's trees. However, I wouldn't want to go back to the time when I had to travel hundreds of miles to view records because they weren't online, so I suppose to some extent we have to take the rough with the smooth?
 
I’ve reported to Ancestry widespread errors of the sort you mention, Stuart. Do they do anything? Not usually! I’m still waiting for a parish mix up I reported in 2010 to be sorted. I’m afraid I no longer bother. I still add amendments where there are transcription errors, but otherwise I’ve given up.

Same here with Nottinghamshire, which I have reported. I was Baptised in Bulwell St Mary, the main Parish Church. The Parish was divided c1885 but the Registers only start separately in 1906 and there is no burial ground at the newly created Bulwell St John. EVERY entry for both Churches is listed as St John - I only correct the ones I'm linking to my family tree. Nottinghamshire archives only have 39 years of Baptisms and 13 years of Marriages for St John but there are thousands of entries on Ancestry!
 
I've been doing some more research on his problem, which affects the "Suffolk, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1949" collection. I searched one parish for dates within the first new register and with no name. The list of hits had far more "marriage banns" items than "marriage" ones. Looking at the images for those indexed as marriages, almost all were by licence. Having sampled some more of the "marriage banns" items, a lot of those - perhaps half - are really marriages by banns.

So I think that is pretty clear: the record type has been based on the transcription, and that process has confused the marriage being "by banns" with a banns record. That does look like the result of using AI in a new set-up, combined with inadequate checking.

I have also done some minimal searches on the whole collection, and the collection derived from the earlier combined registers: "Suffolk, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812". I set the year and event type (where relevant) as exact, and got counts for "marriage" and "marriage banns" record types. Now, even an exact search is for text anywhere with the field, so those two counts are for all items and for banns only.

< see next post for table>

The pattern shown here can mostly be explained, though I'm not sure why there are so many marriages in 1730. Recording of banns was rare in the earliest registers, and became more common during the 1700s. Before 1700 the registers were generally very scruffy, and numbers are seriously affected by war and lost registers.

After 1754 Hardwicke's act and the more detailed marriage and banns pro-formas in the new registers did in fact increase the regularity of recording banns. However, that does not show up in those numbers because almost all of the marriages by banns - which are 80-90% of marriages - have been wrongly indexed as banns events. I guess there must be some parishes not affected by this to give the all-Suffolk numbers above, but I have not yet found one.

After the 1837 marriage and registration acts most marriages were still registered in church and both the church and GRO kept registers. The new register layout seems to be enough to avoid the mistranscription seen in the earlier ones. I presume the ones in this collection are the church's ones, and so will not contain civil marriages nor some non-Anglican ones either. That would explain why the number per year does not rise with the population through the 1900s. You can see that for church marriages banns were still recorded in most cases in 1840, though their number does fall slowly.

I also have a look at the other collections launched before and after Suffolk's in August 2025. These were Cambridgeshire & Huntintongdonshire on in July and Doncaster in October and then and Yorkshire (East Riding) in February 2026. All of those seem to be unaffected, though it is perhaps possible that different registers were used (I've not explored that). So I really don't understand how Ancestry managed to get Suffolk so wrong and not notice.

PS: The formatting of my table has get really messed up there. I'm not sure how - when I reopen it for editing it's fine! I've removed it and added in the next post.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top