Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Having spent quite some time searching unsuccessfully for a burial in the Gloucestershire parish register data set at Ancestry, I started browsing the most likely register for the burial.
Eventually I found it in 1805 - 'John Savage from the workhouse' buried.
Although the surname was a bit faint it was quite readable, and on checking the BT, I found the burial was listed there too, with just his name. So why hadn't the Ancestry Search found him?
I tried again specifying the exact date and parish, but with no names, and both entries were found. The BT entry had been transcribed without the surname, and although omitting the surname from the search had been something I'd tried, I'd ended up with far too many results .
However it was the PR transcription that really took the biscuit - it had been transcribed as a baptism rather than a burial, and as 'John Workhour son of Savage Cookhorn'.
No wonder I hadn't found it using the Search!
Eventually I found it in 1805 - 'John Savage from the workhouse' buried.
Although the surname was a bit faint it was quite readable, and on checking the BT, I found the burial was listed there too, with just his name. So why hadn't the Ancestry Search found him?
I tried again specifying the exact date and parish, but with no names, and both entries were found. The BT entry had been transcribed without the surname, and although omitting the surname from the search had been something I'd tried, I'd ended up with far too many results .
However it was the PR transcription that really took the biscuit - it had been transcribed as a baptism rather than a burial, and as 'John Workhour son of Savage Cookhorn'.
No wonder I hadn't found it using the Search!