Britjan
LostCousins Star
I have a dilemma,which I am sure is a common one for those of us who ventured overseas but have strong ancestral roots the British Isles and Ireland. Thanks to now looking for third cousins (and the far branches of my tree) those roots have a wider spread in some cases and a remarkably close knit one in others. I will be back home for a visit this year and have a couple of days to spare that could be spent in Norfolk or one of the adjoining counties. I have mentioned on another county site that I have no real sense of my deep roots in Cambridgeshire and since they were all very close to the city of Cambridge I am not certain there will be much left to explore apart from a couple of churches.
My Norfolk roots on the other hand I always knew something about and it seems that spreading out from Norwich in the triangle from Great Yarmouth to Cromer there would be a lot to explore and hopefully some still unspoilt. Pretty well every parish in the area has a link with some part of my known or conjectured family from the 1841 census and 1881 census, and some even earlier.
I can certainly check to see what churches are still open but I wonder if there are forum members who know the county well and could tell me what might give me a sense of the area. I am happy to p.m. other members unless the subject appears to be of more general interest.
My Norfolk roots on the other hand I always knew something about and it seems that spreading out from Norwich in the triangle from Great Yarmouth to Cromer there would be a lot to explore and hopefully some still unspoilt. Pretty well every parish in the area has a link with some part of my known or conjectured family from the 1841 census and 1881 census, and some even earlier.
I can certainly check to see what churches are still open but I wonder if there are forum members who know the county well and could tell me what might give me a sense of the area. I am happy to p.m. other members unless the subject appears to be of more general interest.