Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Would you believe, out of the blue Mackiev have notified a FREE (I shall repeat FREE) update to my FTM2019 software, and in an off-guard moment I actually said I would accept the update. I have not used Family Tree Maker for over a year, but recalling it to be a useful program and the inactivity was of my own making, I duly went ahead.
When the Mackiev interface appeared I had this horrible recall from the not so distant past that - second only to the proprietors of MyH (with whom I am sure they are soul mates) - they will take me round the houses before anything like the FREE update will be installed. And so it was to be.
Before I could proceed beyond the first FREE update, I was required to review another 30 or so (guesswork as I did not count them) applications - none of which were of course free. When they ran out of options I was prompted to confirm my card details to continue with my FREE purchase. Now there is no suggestion a payment would be forthcoming - and indeed I was told there would be NO CHARGE - but even so the update could not continue without my details.
At this point I should also own to the fact that I have not used FTM on the device where the update took place. That had been reserved for an old computer, no longer in use, but at the time when it was abandoned I had transferred the program to 2 other devices for when needed. This allowed Mackiev to confirm my bona fide -and boy do they make a meal of this - and then insisting I should import all my Trees and confirm that each had been backed up before proceeding. And of course FTM demanded each had to be synchronised with Ancestry.
It was at this point I thought of abandoning what I had started, but as I wanted at least my main Tree to remain on FTM I persisted with just the one. I suppose half an hour was needed to satisfy every 'reminder' that such and such needed to be confirmed or acted upon. Then finally after all that I was informed the update had been applied and I was good to go.
But I was anything like good to go, except to lie down in a quiet place and thank my lucky stars I had not attempted further Trees. So please beware all those offered the update, you are in for a real round the houses treat. You lucky people.
When the Mackiev interface appeared I had this horrible recall from the not so distant past that - second only to the proprietors of MyH (with whom I am sure they are soul mates) - they will take me round the houses before anything like the FREE update will be installed. And so it was to be.
Before I could proceed beyond the first FREE update, I was required to review another 30 or so (guesswork as I did not count them) applications - none of which were of course free. When they ran out of options I was prompted to confirm my card details to continue with my FREE purchase. Now there is no suggestion a payment would be forthcoming - and indeed I was told there would be NO CHARGE - but even so the update could not continue without my details.
At this point I should also own to the fact that I have not used FTM on the device where the update took place. That had been reserved for an old computer, no longer in use, but at the time when it was abandoned I had transferred the program to 2 other devices for when needed. This allowed Mackiev to confirm my bona fide -and boy do they make a meal of this - and then insisting I should import all my Trees and confirm that each had been backed up before proceeding. And of course FTM demanded each had to be synchronised with Ancestry.
It was at this point I thought of abandoning what I had started, but as I wanted at least my main Tree to remain on FTM I persisted with just the one. I suppose half an hour was needed to satisfy every 'reminder' that such and such needed to be confirmed or acted upon. Then finally after all that I was informed the update had been applied and I was good to go.
But I was anything like good to go, except to lie down in a quiet place and thank my lucky stars I had not attempted further Trees. So please beware all those offered the update, you are in for a real round the houses treat. You lucky people.